Feel kinda bad...

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Feel kinda bad...

Post by me n my hermikids » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:27 pm

I went to the pet store today to get a few things, and was checking out the hermit crabs when a lady walked up to the store clerk and said she was considering hermit crabs but had a few questions. My daughter, God bless her, spoke up and said, "My Mom's kind of an expert". The lady asked me what all she would need in order to gift a hermit crab to a nephew. I started down the list, explaining what was needed and how to care for them. She decided that her nephew was not responsible enough to take on them yet and left. I think the store was kinda mad that I chased away a customer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Re: Feel kinda bad...

Post by CallaLily » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:44 am

Don't feel bad! Imagine if you weren't there. I'm glad you were able to help her make an informed choice.

pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:25 am

I wouldn't feel bad! You just saved a hermit crab! Plus you saved that lady's nephew from ending up with a dead hermit.
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:24 pm

You are right, both of you. Its just that was the first time i ever spoke up at the pet store and it ended bad for them. I am not the activist kind, too shy.

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:32 pm

You did what the pet store SHOULD be doing, allowing someone to make an informed decision. Let go of any guilt about that-guilt is for something we've intentionally done wrong that we don't want to do again. I think your conscience might dictate you do the same thing the next time you encounter it.

Activism is a lot of things, education is a huge part of that. You may have some activist in you even being a shy, polite person. You could be both, see. :)
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:57 pm

I love it when my pet store people tell me stories of when they chase bad owners out by going through a list of things a hermit crab (or whatever) actually needs. Yes - there are pet stores in the world who do what you just did on a regular basis. Too few and far between though!

Don't ever feel bad about standing up for a living creature. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks, guys! And Merry Christmas!

rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:52 pm

I have done the same things many times myself. I think a lot of people think they are simple creatures with little to no needs. So then explaining how complex there whole life is, such as temp and humidity and possible life span and how they are wild caught and so on and so on, really opens some people's eyes and they can then see they aren't a simple throw away pet. I have had people thank me for the information even though they have decided to not get hermit crabs as pets. I think you did the right thing and probably saved a lot of hassle and possible crab death so good job on informing her.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:40 am

me n my hermikids wrote: too shy.
Trust me, I am not an outspoken person either and I have anxiety issues. I understand how hard it can be to speak up but you did it! You made a difference! :D Great job!

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:43 pm

I know how it can be sometimes but you never know, she could later down the line buy a few for her nephew when he's older and more responsible!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk