Betta changing colors?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
platypuskid2

Betta changing colors?

Post by platypuskid2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:59 am

I know this has little to do with crabs (my Halloween moon crab shared a vivarium with my betta) but my mom recently came to visit and she thought I got a new betta but she's the same betta I've had all summer. She showed me a picture that she took and the betta was silver and blue and now she is black and blue. Can bettas change colors and if so what does it mean? Image before Image now

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Betta changing colors?

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Bettas do change colors, especially the females. It allows them to communicate with each other in the wild, and also provides additional camouflage to hide from predators. They're outfitted with chromatophores in their skin, just like octopi.

Very young Bettas naturally have horizontal stripes, but these would be noticeably smaller fish and they grow out of them quickly.

Adult bettas with horizontal stripes are a sign of a stressed out animal. It can be anything from a new environment to something moving near the tank to not having enough cover to hide to the water parameters being dangerous to the fish being sick. Horizontal stripes means to take notice and see what might be wrong,. It some fish do it naturally. I had one that would stripe up at every single feeding, she was weird.

Vertical stripes are used to signal a male that they are ready to mate. It's a happy sign and not a too common sight.

Female Bettas (and to a lesser extent males) can also control the amount of color they put out, so they can be bolder and duller based on their surroundings and how they are feeling. Usually overnight they wash out and get stronger again with light in the morning.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Very interesting! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:17 pm

Was going to say the same but GB stole it from me lol!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Going to add to Wod's comment, bettas can also have a 'fancy' or 'marble' gene, which over a period of time the colouration of bettas can change dramatically. A lot of those 'pinterest' bettas actually have the 'fancy' gene... which makes it interesting for the aquarist. ;) They pretty common nowdays, and for some highly desirable.
http://www.bettysplendens.com/the-ever- ... arble.html

avid betta keeper back in the day.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:55 am

That was an interesting article! I have a Koi Betta...had him for about a year now. Lives in a 5 gallon tank that is naturally designed. He loves his almond leaves. Anyway...he was red/white and blue, but he lost all of his white. Just blue, iridescent blue and red now. Still beautiful though. :) We love him! So personable!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Thats the quality of bettas that everyone loves, they so 'aware' that its hard to to get along with these little guys.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:24 pm

The sad thing is that due to mass breeding, inbreeding for traits, and the general conditions they endure before they get shipped here as classic throw away pets, their lifespans have reduced dramatically. I've had it from many reliable sources that average is now under 18 months. It used to be years.

My first Bettas lived for 4.5 and 4 years. And then the time kept getting shorter and I gave up on them entirely when their one year anniversary usually meant getting ready for their death. In comparison a few of my kuhlis have been with me for 14 years, and my two clown pleco celebrated 9 years last week. I couldn't stand to loose anymore. I might try again someday, but I'm not sure.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:22 pm

It is sad - they are marketed for throw away pets - however they are getting more expensive! I remember when betta fish were $5 a pop, nowadays they are much pricier! I paid $20 for the koi betta. Our bettas have only lived for 2-3 years also. I know I'm doing everything right...so I always figured it was genetics. :|

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:27 pm

For the fancy ones, yes, especially at Petco. Walmart still has shelves full of 4.84 Bettas, but they're the "regular" kinds. The fancy types were always about that much, but you had to special order them straight from Vietnam and Thailand, stores weren't taking the risks of importing.

LednertHurman6

Post by LednertHurman6 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:50 pm

platypuskid2 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:59 am
I know this has little to do with crabs (my Halloween moon crab shared a vivarium with my betta) but my mom recently came to visit and she thought I got a new betta but she's the same betta I've had all summer. She showed me a picture that she took and the betta was silver and blue and now she is black and blue. Can bettas change colors and if so what does it mean? Image before Image now

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
My koi bettas female one is changing color like an octopus... This is an awesome thing...