Crabs in college

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
myllkti

Crabs in college

Post by myllkti » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:23 am

I haven’t read any college policies that allow enough wiggle room to argue that hermits are allowed, but are there any where it’s lenient enough that you can make a case even if caught? I’d really appreciate about hearing about your experiences or experiences of those you know concerning which colleges “allow” hermits and which are more strict.

A few of the colleges I’m applying to:
Duke, Princeton, UPenn, Villanova, NYU, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Montclair, Saint Peter’s, University of Florida, FSU, Boston College, etc

Your stories of any college would of course still be suuuuper appreciated, but these ones are the most relevant ones for my situation (idk where I’m going yet as I’m still waiting to hear from the targets and reaches) :)
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Started selling hermit food 👀 - https://myheartmadestudio.etsy.com/

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crabs in college

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:54 pm

I don’t know those schools so I’m probably not very useful.

I ended up leaving mine with my parents when I went to undergrad since there was no way I could keep them in the dorms.

Grad school I could bring then with since I’m now living off-campus (which I realize doesn’t help you).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlmills525

Post by Jlmills525 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:00 pm

Can you ask each of those schools student “person” or contact about it. I figure there should be some sort of a department or faculty member who is meant to answer new student questions

Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

Topic author
myllkti

Post by myllkti » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:32 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:54 pm
I don’t know those schools so I’m probably not very useful.
It’s okay! Thanks for trying to help!
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Topic author
myllkti

Post by myllkti » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:33 pm

Jlmills525 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:00 pm
Can you ask each of those schools student “person” or contact about it. I figure there should be some sort of a department or faculty member who is meant to answer new student questions

I’m thinking they’d probably veto as some of them explicitly ban pets. I doubt they’d admit they don’t enforce their policies. I mean maybe hopefully, but I’d at least rather wait until I get accepted as I don’t want any risk of it affecting the decision. :)
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:31 am

I dunno much about the education system in the US, but does one ever live off campus where renting a room or a house can allow that flexibility to allow pets (especially low risk animals like hermies!)?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:06 am

aussieJJDude wrote:I dunno much about the education system in the US, but does one ever live off campus where renting a room or a house can allow that flexibility to allow pets (especially low risk animals like hermies!)?
Yes, but it’s non-traditional and many colleges here require new students to live on-campus their first year.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:58 am

Usually dorm pets are limited to those that can only survive in water, in a tank of a certain size, usually 10 gallons or less. I've seen a couple people say 20 gallon. It's rules designed to make sure a roommate or other dorm occupants aren't going to wake up to a hamster or scorpion in their bed.

That said, pets in dorms is becoming more common and some schools have dorms specifically for pet owners. I've seen a few that allow dogs and cats. You'd have to talk with admissions to find out if they have programs in place or what the rules for all the dorms are.

That said, we've had members in the past quietly keep crabs in totes where they weren't noticed. The problem comes during breaks, because you'll have to move them in and out and they could be molting at that time. Constant power and heat can be a problem, as dorms can shut power off during breaks to prevent accidents and lower temps to save on money. That will also depend on placement as some building do stay open year round (or close to) for students who can't get back home.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:51 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:06 am
Yes, but it’s non-traditional and many colleges here require new students to live on-campus their first year.
Honestly, that's so odd that the school requires students to live on campus, even for the first year. In Aus, the students that do move for uni, there's no requirement for students to live on campus and majority end up renting in a share house, particularly with friends if they all going to the same uni.

Gosh, every day I'm more and more glad for the education in Aus. Seems a lot less stressful! :lol:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:16 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:51 pm
Honestly, that's so odd that the school requires students to live on campus, even for the first year. In Aus, the students that do move for uni, there's no requirement for students to live on campus and majority end up renting in a share house, particularly with friends if they all going to the same uni.

Gosh, every day I'm more and more glad for the education in Aus. Seems a lot less stressful! :lol:
I think the reason for the requirement is so the kids, who many are out in the world for the first time, don't get so overwhelmed. They can make friends, join groups, be surrounded by kids going through the same thing. And they can still have a little bit of structure.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:08 am

It also nets the college more money as you have to pay for the dorm room, pay for on campus meals, pay for on campus activities, etc, since cars aren't allowed. I'm not sure it's as innocent as just wanting to keep them safe. (I went to a commuter college because I couldn't stand the thought of being trapped.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
myllkti

Post by myllkti » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:38 am

Update! My mom has agreed to take care of them! Yayyyy
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:34 pm

myllkti wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:38 am
Update! My mom has agreed to take care of them! Yayyyy
How are they doing?!
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

Topic author
myllkti

Post by myllkti » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:58 am

They are doing well! Ive been home most weekends so I do do most of the work, I just ask my mom/brother to do mid-week checkins. Last night I saw one using a new water pool! I couldnt tell if she was able to submerge or not (I put a decor in there for climbing out, unsure if they could fit between it) and then saw the perfect decor to replace it with! Was especially nice because i have no idea what else i could have possibly used that piece for
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Topic author
myllkti

Post by myllkti » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:00 pm

but yeah it's been a few months now and they're good! Haven't been able to get a good look at their carpal setae yet but whatever i guess lol
Mere, Elie, and Syd!