E's at petstore

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
pearl29mi

E's at petstore

Post by pearl29mi » Thu May 05, 2016 7:19 pm

Quick! I'm at the petstore and was wondering if 2 E's and 5 pps in a 40 gal breeder would be to much?
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

soilentgringa

Re: E's at petstore

Post by soilentgringa » Thu May 05, 2016 7:42 pm

pearl29mi wrote:Quick! I'm at the petstore and was wondering if 2 E's and 5 pps in a 40 gal breeder would be to much?
If they get along and you aren't seeing any issues; I'd say no.

I'm overcrowded by most standards right now in both my 55 and 40, plus I have 3 E's in my 40, but all my crabs are getting along fine. They have plenty of protein, shells, and things to climb on.

An upgrade is planned for the future, but for now we are good.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:27 am

soilentgringa wrote:
pearl29mi wrote:Quick! I'm at the petstore and was wondering if 2 E's and 5 pps in a 40 gal breeder would be to much?
If they get along and you aren't seeing any issues; I'd say no.

I'm overcrowded by most standards right now in both my 55 and 40, plus I have 3 E's in my 40, but all my crabs are getting along fine. They have plenty of protein, shells, and things to climb on.

An upgrade is planned for the future, but for now we are good.
How many crabs do you have I your 55? If you don't mind... Im setting one up!

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:04 pm

Im going today to get my e a friend and a new 'tank' ^^
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:56 pm

I have around 13-15 PP's in my 55 right now.
I don't recommend trying to do this if you are just starting out. I shouldn't really even have that many in there. The only reason that I do is because I rescue and adopt unwanted crabs in my area and have taken in over 50 (between myself and ex roommate) over the last two years. We had several tanks, and allowed crabs to molt a couple of times, and are in the process of finding forever homes for many of them. I figure that as long as the colony is getting along with no signs of aggression or molt attacks they are okay for the short term.
They have plenty of food, water, hiding spaces, greenery, 12-13" of substrate, and seem to be getting along fine.
If you never plan to upgrade your tank you should aim for 10 gallons per crab at least, 15-20 if you have a jumbo. Jumbos also need a base width of 18" or more so keep that in mind as well.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:58 pm

We currently have a 40 and 55 in my living room as well as several large totes. We've managed to rehome several of the "rehabbed" crabs.
The goal is to build a very large habitat once we purchase a home. Moving with crabs is a pain so I'd rather not try to do it large scale.

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:21 pm

I managed to get a large enough tub for a couple of additional crabs. Ita bigger than their stand (for a 55). Only issue ice got right now is height :( ill have to compensate somehow, but at least its temporary....a custom tank specifically for my crabs is going to be pushing 250$ :( I may opt, once hurricane season is done with, for two separate tanks. My bro in law was hoping for frogs, but my 29L would be perfect for my two e's
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.