Crabitat Misting

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Gryfinthegreat

Crabitat Misting

Post by Gryfinthegreat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:28 pm

Is it o.k. to get an in-tank misting system? Do I mist my tank with fresh water, or salt water? If I am supposed to use salt water, is it o.k. to mist sphagnum moss hides, or will that "bleach" their nutrients? And finally if an in tank misting system is fine, can it have a waterfall, or will the flowing water be a drowning hazard?

NLindsey921

Re: Crabitat Misting

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:29 pm

I'm relatively new so I can only answer one a question. You need to use fresh water to mist the tank because the salt does not evaporate and will build up in the substrate eventually becoming dangerous to the crabs.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Topic author
Gryfinthegreat

Post by Gryfinthegreat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:33 pm

Wow, thanks! That is an extremely good thing to know.

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:40 pm

Yeah. I think other crab owners have had waterfalls in their tank and maybe one of them will see the question and answer it but I don't know anything about that. My humidity does fine with a bubbler in the freshwater pool.

5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:57 pm

Gryfinthegreat wrote:Is it o.k. to get an in-tank misting system? Do I mist my tank with fresh water, or salt water? If I am supposed to use salt water, is it o.k. to mist sphagnum moss hides, or will that "bleach" their nutrients? And finally if an in tank misting system is fine, can it have a waterfall, or will the flowing water be a drowning hazard?
Misting may not be necessary at all to maintain the needed humidity level (80% or above is best for crabs to breathe with their modified gill system). Once the substrate is mixed to sandcastle consistency, it should be able to maintain itself with minimal, if any, misting. Many of us use simple bubblers (airstones with a small aquarium pump) in the pools: it's an inexpensive option, really boosts the humidity and the crabs tend to enjoy the moving water -- a little crabbie day spa :lol: ! My crabs are in a 29g with a hinged glass lid and pool bubblers, the substrate (playsand and EcoEarth blend) has been in for 21 months and is still as moist as the day it was mixed and the only misting I do is of the moss pit every other day.

Some crabbers have set up waterfalls/fountains in their crabitats but there are often issues will them: sand dragged in by the crabs clogs the filter and pump, causing the unit to fail and/or the unit malfunctions, causing the tank to flood at the bottom of the substrate, often resulting in bacterial bloom. If the latter happens, all the affected substrate has to be replaced asap.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Gryfinthegreat

Post by Gryfinthegreat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:04 am

Thanks for the info! I guess if I don't need the in cage system, or the waterfall, I feel as though not risking the bacteria and other health concerns is a better approach. Maybe I will set up a crabless home, that way I can manage to get some hands on experience as I research these things.

Thanks again for the information guys/gals! I've learned quite a bit today thanks to you all and the info on this site.

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:46 am

If you have properly mixed substrate a moss pit and bubblers you shouldn't need to mist accept for misting the moss pit

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:57 am

Depending on where you live, humidity can be difficult to keep up.

Some of our members have had luck with foggers, put on a timer.

You can search fogger or humidifier in the DIY forum and see many different approaches.

It is perfectly okay to mist or use a fogger, just use dechlorinated fresh water and make sure your substrate is not becoming oversaturated.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Brian_T

Post by Brian_T » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:53 am

Make sure your tank is sealed probably. I was having a heck of a time keeping the humidity up until I got a glass top and sealed it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi Gryffin, having similar issues. Couldn't get RH above 70%. Things are turning around.
1) can you add more substrate? I just added more EE and got a humidity boost. Not bragging yet, its only been a few hours.
2) how are you heating / lighting your tank? I lost a lot of humidity by using 2, 25w incandescent bulbs to boost heat. I removed 1 light. Planning on putting a cfl w uvb in the side i removed bulb. Not sure this is possible.
3) bigger pools of water will add to RH
4) moss pit? Ive got some moss on the way. Not sure if i need it but the wet foliage will add moisture to the air. And crabbies love to eat it/ hide in it. (Note: Some moss is poisonous)
Well, thats what i learned in the past few days. :cheer: good luck.
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!