Substrate

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Menders

Substrate

Post by Menders » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:34 am

I know some people use coconut fiber only. Most use both sand and coconut fiber. And some use sand only. I am using play sand only. Is this okay? I had a very bad experience with a bacterial bloom when I used the mix. I decided to use sand only when setting up my new 30 gallon. I am starting to wonder of this was a bad idea. How do I keep it sand castle consistency? Ive noticed it drying a bit. I have a newly adopted crab down right now. I can poke my finger into the sand and it maintains a tunnel. Im just starting to worry. Any input is welcome and appreciated. I jist want to do a good job.

kieagcarm

Re: Substrate

Post by kieagcarm » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:58 am

I have issues with my humidity and keeping the sub at sand castle consistency, and I used to just have play sand. It was even worse for me then. I ended yup mixing in the ee and now I'm noticing it's drying on the top inch. If you figure it out please share your knowledge!! Lol

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Topic author
Menders

Post by Menders » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:05 am

Thank you for responding! Where is your UTH? That could be part of the issue. What is your humidity like?

Menders
5 PPs, 1 cat exotic short hair, 2 children and a wonderful husband

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:38 am

Its fine... Most just prefer the mix.
The important thing with sand is to not oversaturate... It not a good absorbent/adsorbent and water can pool quiet quickly if you tend to mist often. EE - or a mix - tend to release some of the excess moisture back into the air, qhich also helps with humidity.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:57 am

Menders wrote:Thank you for responding! Where is your UTH? That could be part of the issue. What is your humidity like?

Menders
5 PPs, 1 cat exotic short hair, 2 children and a wonderful husband
My uth is on the back and just touches the sub, it's kinda close to the sw bowl but not the fw

NinjaPurgs

Post by NinjaPurgs » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:50 pm

I use pure EE aka coco fiber. I did switch to using a mixture of sand and EE but the sand dries the substrate out super fast and there was a huge risk of tunnel collapse, so I switched back to pure EE.

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:23 pm

NinjaPurgs wrote:I use pure EE aka coco fiber. I did switch to using a mixture of sand and EE but the sand dries the substrate out super fast and there was a huge risk of tunnel collapse, so I switched back to pure EE.
Do you make the ee moist?

NinjaPurgs

Post by NinjaPurgs » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:03 pm

kieagcarm wrote:
NinjaPurgs wrote:I use pure EE aka coco fiber. I did switch to using a mixture of sand and EE but the sand dries the substrate out super fast and there was a huge risk of tunnel collapse, so I switched back to pure EE.
Do you make the ee moist?

Yes, and because it is pure EE it holds the moisture much better. I also have large pools with airstones in them to help keep up the humidity levels. One thing I will also add is that if you use an UTH if it is close enough to the sub it will dry it out super fast, no matter what type of sub you use.