tank vs tote??

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
ciaraalston

Re: tank vs tote??

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:57 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:That helped a TON, thank you! I'm beginning to think a tote would be a pretty good way to go for us. My crabs are skittish anyway so they'd be okay without me peering in on them constantly. I'd have no issues with humidity due to the airtight lid (with a little modification of some drill holes!) and i could make it 100 gallons if i stack one on top. I could even cut a hole in the top and seal a light on it to give them a cycle. We have a light for the 10 gal we aren't using. It really seems to be a pretty cost efficient way to go. An entire bottom tote for molting space would also be pretty great for my Es and my big PPs. This isn't something i'm swapping to next week, but i'm definitely going to start prepping for this!
I would just recommend getting a wooden slab or something to set the bottom tote on top of. That much sand can get HEAVY and I personally feel like having something for the tote to sit on would decrease the chances of the bottom giving out. I think I read someone discussing this before but I could very well be wrong.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

No, you're right! I read that thread too, it's in deletables i think. It's the one that gave me the idea that a tote would be a great investment. Thank you for reminding me, i forgot about that! :D :D
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 am

There's a storm brewing on the gulf so we went to Walmart this morning to stock up on essentials *just in case*
While we were there, i checked out the 50 gallon totes!!

i'll use a plain gray one for the bottom tote, since it will all be substrate for molting so they dont need me peering in thru a clear one. That one was only $19. Plus, seeing one in person was different that pictures. Its HUGE!!! :banana:
I'll cut the lid on the bottom tote and most of the bottom of the top tote and attach them together somehow. (any suggestions on that? zip ties, silicone, plain ole duct tape?)
Then i found the clear ones, and they're only $21! I was thinking i could continue the substrate up about an inch into the top one, then add all their stuff. shell shops, hamster wheel, water bowls, etc. There's a TON of air space. I can just zip tie things to the sides by making small holes. It would hold better than suction cups. I can add a basket upside down as a second level to climb and still have space left. I don't know why i didn't think of totes sooner, it's definitely a better option for us than my tank. My only concern is heating, of course. I'll use my heat tape and UTHs from the 55, and i can wrap the whole tote with reflectix since i can't see thru it much anyway. the lid of the top tote i'll cut a space open and seal a light on it so they have a real cycle, just in case.
What do yall think?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Sounds like a plan to me. Zip ties sound suitable for that setup, and ensure that they cant escape for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:51 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Sounds like a plan to me. Zip ties sound suitable for that setup, and ensure that they cant escape for whatever reason.

@aussieJJDude-
Did you add anything under your tote to stabilize it? A few people suggested a piece of wood underneath so that the bottom doesn't bow and crack. We checked the bottom of the totes, theres a lip around the bottom where the center is raised up about half an inch. It doesn't seem like it would bow under the eco earth weight, but what do you recommend? I will have 2 bags of playsand and the rest eco earth to fill it up.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 am

ciaraalston wrote:
@aussieJJDude-
Did you add anything under your tote to stabilize it? A few people suggested a piece of wood underneath so that the bottom doesn't bow and crack. We checked the bottom of the totes, theres a lip around the bottom where the center is raised up about half an inch. It doesn't seem like it would bow under the eco earth weight, but what do you recommend? I will have 2 bags of playsand and the rest eco earth to fill it up.
No. I did not. For two reasons, I've never had a problem with it splitting - even if filled with water, usually the sides give before the bottom will - and also the tote was meant to be very short term... but if you prefer, i would suggest something under it. Ive used a folded old (worn out) blanket before, which worked like a treat. Others have used plywood. Whatever is easier IMO. But if you want to go without, I also think it would be fine. :)

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:25 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:
@aussieJJDude-
No. I did not. For two reasons, I've never had a problem with it splitting - even if filled with water, usually the sides give before the bottom will - and also the tote was meant to be very short term... but if you prefer, i would suggest something under it. Ive used a folded old (worn out) blanket before, which worked like a treat. Others have used plywood. Whatever is easier IMO. But if you want to go without, I also think it would be fine. :)

Perfect! We have a TON of old towels and blankets we don't use in the spare closet. (His mom brings towels and blankets to us every time we see her. Which is about two or three times a monthImageImageImage she also brings groceries that she "picked up and realized he isn't there to eat it so she figured she would just drop it off with us..." (He hasn't lived there in 3 years. Image) Moms..... what would we do without them!? ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:29 am

Also good for protecting the floors, which is especially nice if you (or anyone else) rents! In my case, my parents like their nice hardwood flooring, so gotta try and keep it looking nice as long as I can!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:35 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Also good for protecting the floors, which is especially nice if you (or anyone else) rents! In my case, my parents like their nice hardwood flooring, so gotta try and keep it looking nice as long as I can!

We rent! Luckily it's an old house, but I definitely like to leave things better than I found them, so that will help a ton! Thank you ImageImage

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:37 am

I have had clear Sterilite tubs crack several times over the years. We use the wide flat ones for litterboxes and every so often we get one that splits on the bottom. I've also shattered corners before just moving them around. The clear Sterilite plastic has gotten better in recent years, but it's not nearly as sturdy as the solid colored Rubbermaid.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:59 am

wodesorel wrote:I have had clear Sterilite tubs crack several times over the years. We use the wide flat ones for litterboxes and every so often we get one that splits on the bottom. I've also shattered corners before just moving them around. The clear Sterilite plastic has gotten better in recent years, but it's not nearly as sturdy as the solid colored Rubbermaid.
I'll be using a solid colored Rubbermaid for the bottom tote that holds the sand and ee, and only the top tote will be a clear one. I figured since it's just substrate and they need privacy molting, it would be a waste using a clear one on bottom.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:01 am

I've yet to break a Rubbermaid, and believe me that is a ringing endorsement! I have some kicking around that are probably 30 years old. I've dropped them down flights of stairs before.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:06 am

wodesorel wrote:I've yet to break a Rubbermaid, and believe me that is a ringing endorsement! I have some kicking around that are probably 30 years old. I've dropped them down flights of stairs before. Image
Dang! That's pretty impressive actually! I'm glad to hear that, because I was still slightly worried about mine holding up under the substrate.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:05 am

I'm assuming i can't wrap the heat tape around the tote, so i'll have to cut it. I'm not even sure i'd like to use the heat tape, since it gets SO HOT and i don't want melted plastic. Y'all have previously used ultratherms on totes before, correct? If so, i can just order one that will fit the side of the tote, and i'll keep the heat tape for the snake tanks. What do yall think?

EDITED TO ADD:
I also saw on an old post how some folks layered their sand/ee instead of mixing it... is this a better method? she said she put ee at the bottom to help boost humidity.

PinchersAndShells
Administrator
Administrator

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:56 am

ciaraalston wrote:I'm assuming i can't wrap the heat tape around the tote, so i'll have to cut it. I'm not even sure i'd like to use the heat tape, since it gets SO HOT and i don't want melted plastic. Y'all have previously used ultratherms on totes before, correct? If so, i can just order one that will fit the side of the tote, and i'll keep the heat tape for the snake tanks. What do yall think?

EDITED TO ADD:
I also saw on an old post how some folks layered their sand/ee instead of mixing it... is this a better method? she said she put ee at the bottom to help boost humidity.
Ultratherms work fine on totes. :)
Layering the sand and Eco Earth is really just a personal choice. Layering saves you a little bit of time, and in turn the crabs will eventually mix it all up for you. My only concerns would be on how you make sure both kinds of layers are sandcastle consistency.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Dottie, & Elvis
3 Captive Bred Babies = Randy, Roxie, Marco
37 + 10 Gallon Crabitats | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/