plz read if you have a crested gecko.

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
purplepincher

plz read if you have a crested gecko.

Post by purplepincher » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:30 pm

i am getting a crestie soon! hooray!
does anyone have any tips for setting up the enclosure? i have researched well and i just want a few more tips before i purchase him. i even picked out the purchase place! :D :D :D :D
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

PinchersAndShells

Re: plz read if you have a crested gecko.

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 am

Reptichip or Ecoearth are good substrates if you aren’t doing live plants, I don’t have a crested gecko but I spend a lot of my time in reptile groups learning about things. Reptichip is similar to Ecoearth but it’s chunks of coconut husk. Holds in humidity which they really like in their enclosure. :) The enclosure should be taller as opposed to being long.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:10 am

Think tall, think high, and think tons of hiding places. In the wild they live high in trees and hide from predators, and they want to do the same thing at home to be comfortable.

Mine likes to sit up as high as he can in the tank, which is about 6 feet from the floor. He also likes to hide in all the nooks and crannies with his nose sticking out. I went with a Zoomed skyscraper tank since it's three feet of climbing space. Taller is much more important than wider.

Repashy food is excellent. They started coming out with limited edition flavors and mine is going crazy for the Cherry Bomb and Mulberry Madness, in addition to the others.

Make sure they can't overheat, as high temps are deadly. Below 80 is safe. They shouldn't get too chilled at night, into the 60s is good. I have a thermostat controlled heater on mine set to 72 since my room gets really cold, and he moves around the tank as needed. Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:33 am

wodesorel wrote:Think tall, think high, and think tons of hiding places. In the wild they live high in trees and hide from predators, and they want to do the same thing at home to be comfortable.

Mine likes to sit up as high as he can in the tank, which is about 6 feet from the floor. He also likes to hide in all the nooks and crannies with his nose sticking out. I went with a Zoomed skyscraper tank since it's three feet of climbing space. Taller is much more important than wider.

Repashy food is excellent. They started coming out with limited edition flavors and mine is going crazy for the Cherry Bomb and Mulberry Madness, in addition to the others.

Make sure they can't overheat, as high temps are deadly. Below 80 is safe. They shouldn't get too chilled at night, into the 60s is good. I have a thermostat controlled heater on mine set to 72 since my room gets really cold, and he moves around the tank as needed. Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Your tank looks awesome Wode! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:20 am

that is so cool! i already have an enclosure picked out, im going with zoomed. thanks for the advice! how do i pick out a healthy gecko?
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Healthy weight, no ribs visible. No stuck shed. No drooling, open mouth, bubbles, or audible breathing. Firm poops. If it's older check its vent (underside) for any dry or blackened skin.

Try to purchase from someone with a good reputation. Mass bred reptiles are prone to a disease called cryptosporidiosis (in geckos called stick tail) which is incurable, extremely contagious to other reptiles, impossible to clean, and fatal.

Keep in mind that their tails will pop off from bad handling, getting it caught, and sometimes for no reason at all, so it doesn't matter if they have one or not.

Topic author
purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:25 pm

are gargoyle geckos good too? i cant find a good cage setup.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:33 pm

I believe they have similar care, but they cost a lot more.