Snake troubles seem far from over... (Gravid?!)

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Snake troubles seem far from over... (Gravid?!)

Post by FJrocks003 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:06 am

So by now you probably know my snake pretty well. That one that everything that can go wrong will go wrong, from midnight escapes to deadly illnesses and now THIS?! I think I have a gravid snake. I misjudged the gender of my second snake, meaning... yeah. We now know that we are actually keeping a male and a female together, whoops. After about a week of them being together the female, Clover (aka trouble snake), shedded witch is suspicious timing if you ask me. I could be imagining it but she also seem to be getting a little wider, we did up her mouse size recently reason for this but I can't be sure either way. My biggest questions now are; is there anyway to tell for sure (other than bringing her to the vet and spending hundreds of dollars for one x-ray) and what should I being doing to take care of her differently now to she's (could be) gravid?

I think I'll just fill out the crab emergency form for my snakes' habitat so you guys can help me better. Also, thank you all for being so helpful with my snake even though this is a sight for hermit crabs, I will try to post less about my snake in the future.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
2 inches of aspen mixed with moss, ee, and fir bark.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
The warm side is 86 (hot spot is 93), cool side is 75. The whole tank drops to about 73ish at night. Humidity is around 45% but isn't very consistent, I have a humidity box on the warm side that is about 90%.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Two heat lamp, I only use one during to summer but in winter I use both.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Tap water in a large bowl that they love to soak in.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed them mice once a week. The bigger one (the one that we think is gravid) I switch between large pinkies and small fuzzies and the smaller one eats small pinkies.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I have had this snake for about 4 or 5 months, she is an eastern garter snake.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
The snake shed about a week and a half ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
They have a 30 gallon low tank, front opening with a mesh top.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
There are two snakes. Clover (the one in question) is about 2.25ish feet long and Ember is about 1.5 feet.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
5 shells (lol I do have shells that the crab out-grow in there, they like to rub against them when shedding.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Bedding change every month and isopods loose in tank.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No sponges.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
The new snake was added a few weeks ago.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
Both are handled daily and Clover has been used in educational programs time to time.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Snake troubles seem far from over... (Gravid?!)

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:14 pm

This is well outside most of our realms of expertise. [mention]wodesorel [/mention] ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
FJrocks003

Re: Snake troubles seem far from over... (Gravid?!)

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:47 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:14 pm
This is well outside most of our realms of expertise. [mention]wodesorel [/mention] ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure that the mention thing worked.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)