Teacher keeping a betta fish in a tiny fish bowl! Help me convince him it is wrong!

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Teacher keeping a betta fish in a tiny fish bowl! Help me convince him it is wrong!

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:14 pm

My gym teacher got us a class pet. At first I was really excited until I saw it, a large male betta fish being kept in a tiny 1/2 gallon fish bowl! The bowl was only half way full as well! The poor fish could barely move there was so little water! The gravel at the bottom was painted bright blue and was chipping away into the water, which was already so dirty it looked brown. There was no bubbler or filter at all and the worst part, when I confronted him about it he said "That's not true, look he's so happy swimming around in there! *pointing to the fish that is trying to swim in circles but barely has enough room*" Long story short, I argued a lot and when he got sick of it I had to sit in the corner for the rest of class. He is a really strict teacher and won't listen to any of my reasoning, I even tried giving him multiple links to websites that explain this to him but he refused to even open them because "This is what the petstore guy told me to do." I really don't know what to do at this point but I can't just sit back and watch as the fish slowly dies! I need ideas of what to do to convince him, he is very stubborn and won't listen or even look at anything I show him, honestly I don't even know how he got this job as a teacher in the first place.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Teacher keeping a betta fish in a tiny fish bowl! Help me convince him it is wrong!

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:19 pm

Don't get in trouble and potentually risk making enemies and lose marks for the sake of one fish. It's foolish IMO to potentially risk your report just for one fish.

I'd try to avoid mentioning it again, annd just hope that the teacher learns before its too late IMO. Maybe at most, potentially talk with your science teacher and ask them if they would be willing to talk to your gym teacher if they are able to on your behalf? They are a lot more likely to listen to another adult - and hopefully someone educated in sciences, even though that sounds bad
Its true - than a younger kid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

CrabbyLover77

Re: Teacher keeping a betta fish in a tiny fish bowl! Help me convince him it is wrong!

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:18 pm

I'm with Aussie. Find a teacher that you feel you can confide in, and let them know about the situation. It's unfortunate some adults automatically assume that young people know less than they do. I wouldn't confront the gym teacher again though. Good luck, and keep us updated.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:24 pm

None of the teachers particularly like me (as in would definitely not help me with this at all) so I don't think that I can talk to them. I might try something a little bit different, like gifting him a 10 gallon tank + filter on his birthday or maybe on the next essay or exam have my topic be on animal abuse, something less direct but still to the point.

skygreg007

Post by skygreg007 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:55 pm

FJrocks003 wrote:None of the teachers particularly like me (as in would definitely not help me with this at all) so I don't think that I can talk to them. I might try something a little bit different, like gifting him a 10 gallon tank + filter on his birthday or maybe on the next essay or exam have my topic be on animal abuse, something less direct but still to the point.
If you do a report or project on animal abuse the teacher will just get angrier. They will see it as passive aggresive.

I am so sorry this is happening. People can be so cruel. I agree with the advice above. Don't put your grades in jeopardy. Perhaps you could contact the pet stores in the area and tell them that they are giving outdated advice on beta fish. Butter them up though. Explain that you can tell they take great pride in giving out good advice and treating their animals humanly but there is a lot of incorrect information on beta fish. Maybe if the source of the issue is fixed, less fish will be mistreated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

PinkyNTwinkie33

Post by PinkyNTwinkie33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Bettas also need plenty of silk plants so they do not rip their fins, hiding places, and require 78 degree water at all times bc they are tropical fish despite living in fresh water!! I am so sorry you are having to witness and to through this!! Maybe you can show him the facts by a reputable company on YouTube?

Unfortunately, many people think that just because the betta fish came in a cup at the pet store, that they only need a small bowl, which is really something the pet store should talk to people about!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 PPs -
2 Large: Pinky and Blue
3 Medium/Large: Speedy, Cupid and Tiny
1 Teeny: Totz

1 Cat: Twinkie
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:45 am

I think that gifting the gym teacher (really for the fish) a tank and filter is a great idea! How can the gym teacher refuse?! Maybe you could also write him a letter about why you were so passionate about it and while you didn’t mean to offend him, you just want to help the fish. Possibly do a little class fundraiser to raise money for what the fish needs? Just some ideas. It’s really sad that he’s so stubborn about it, thinking he knows better...and the fish is the one suffering, poor thing. I really hope you can get through to him and this works out! Keep us posted, good luck!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:55 pm

I am going to repeat JJ’s warning to stay on your teacher’s good side. Giving him supplies may not be as welcome as you might think.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:45 am

Just as an update in case this is still interested: The first fish sadly did die (although the teacher still says it wasn't his fault). After that he said he was going to get a second one and I offered to pay for a "fancier tank". I basically just convinced him by saying that I could get him a prettier tank so his room would look cooler (he considered to fish decoration for the classroom). He agreed and I set up a small tank I had laying around the house (I think is was 10 or 20 gallons) with a filter and water heater. I decorated to look nice and adopted this beautiful black halfmoon and 4 neon tetras then added some snails and shrimp. I've been feeding it blood worms and brine shrimp. It's been doing well and I stay after school to take care of it.
Last edited by FJrocks003 on Sat May 29, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 am

Oh I’m glad it worked out! Minus the one that didn’t make it

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:44 pm

Hopefully in the long run, things work out and said teacher will come around. ^_^ maybe with the new set-up he'll see for himself how fun fushkeeping can be. ,
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:45 pm

FJrocks003 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:45 am
Just as an update in case this is still interested: The first fish sadly did die (although the teacher still says it wasn't his fault). After that he said he was going to get a second one and I offered to pay for a "fancier tank". I basically just convinced him by saying that I could get him a prettier tank so his room would look cooler (he considered to fish decoration for the classroom). He agreed and I set up a small tank I had laying around the house (I think is was 10 or 20 gallons) with a filter and water heater. I decorated to look nice and adopted this beautiful black halfmoon and 4 neon tetras then added some snails and shrimp. I've been feeding it blood worms and brine shrimp. It's been doing well and I stay after school to take care of it.
You did a really kind thing! I hope he learns(or learned) to take care of it by himself..
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart