MHC Care Sheet

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
OIF_VET

MHC Care Sheet

Post by OIF_VET » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:19 pm

Thank You Crab_guru_11.
This is a Care Sheet that Crab_guru_11 has so graciously suuplied for me.

Blue Leg Hermit Crab Care sheet

Blue Leg hermit crabs are one of the many species of aquatic hermit crabs. They are totally reef safe and do quite a number on that pesky alga that impairs your view of your pretty fishies. Although these feisty critters don’t harm your fish, they can be aggressive towards other crustaceans. If you are looking for a helpful and entertaining cleaning crew, theses little fellows are right for you! But, although theses guys are small, it doesn’t mean that you can just dump them into a tank of saltwater. You need the proper care to ensure a happy and healthy life for these guys.

Here is some information about theses hermit crabs and how to take care of them!

Alternative name: Dwarf Blue Hermit Crab

Scientific name: Clibanarius Tricolor

Maximum size: 2cms

Category: Marine Invertebrate

Minimum tank volume: 75 liters (20 gallons)

Average water temperature: 22-27 degrees Celsius (72F to 80F)

Water hardness range: 8-12

Water pH range: 8.1-8.4

Description: Has beautiful electric blue legs with orange/red joints. Has a blue face and orange antennae. Has pointy black toenails, little hairs on their legs and usually has white splotches on their pitchers. Diogenidae family. Originates for the Caribbean.

Diet: Omnivore- shrimp matter, algae (green hair), cyanobacteria and detritus. If there is insufficient algae to eat, their diet must be supplemented with seaweed.

Compatibility: These guys are mostly reef safe but like shells and will do anything to get those shells from other animals, If you know what I mean.

Problems that could occur: Their sharp toenails could damage soft flesh of stony corals.

What I recommend: Put a lot of empty shells in there so they don't have to attack other crabs and snails when they need to change shells.

Sexing: We are not quite sure how to differentiate males from females quite yet. Sorry, just name them something like "Jackie"!