I was encouraged

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
landlubber

I was encouraged

Post by landlubber » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:13 am

And it doesn't take much encouragement for me to post new pictures of my colony! :wink:

Jenny has turned out to be a very photogenic crab!

And her friend Shoal. They've been hanging out together because Salty likes to hang out in the planter all day and Siren is still down for a molt. :|
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Kacey86

Re: I was encouraged

Post by Kacey86 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:59 am

So pretty!

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:36 am

I'm so jealous of your hermies :D
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:33 am

yay!! So beautiful. LOVE seeing your crabby fam :D
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Very beautiful creatures! Straws always look so peaceful and relaxed to me. :)

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
landlubber

Post by landlubber » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks everyone! Straws have such great personalities! They are relaxed, but active-never had an aggressive straw so I would say they are peaceful too. :D

Some people have had trouble with straws, but for some reason my straws have always done well for me. My oldest crab-7 years old was a straw. I was SO upset I had lost her-I had become so attached. My "bad luck" species were always Ruggies. I lost them left and right. :(
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon

Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Wow those straws are gorgeous! I'm afraid to attempt having straws since I couldn't even get my E's to have a successful molt :/ I think I will just stick to the purple pinchers!

I know what you mean about getting attached! My oldest is about 10 years old!
14 PPs
Follow my hermie instagram account: jellyhermies

Topic author
landlubber

Post by landlubber » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks Jellybean,

The older ones go through so much with us, what a history, ya know? I think that straw (biggest trooper I ever saw) would have lived 10 years and more had I not lost her in a shell rot epidemic. She was one of my first three hermies (first one died-she was the replacement and we didn't even know she was a different species-the second original lived two years until she was killed in a shell fight with a pre-molt crabby crab and I was so mad that that killer crab-he killed a perfectly happy, healthy, little scrapper). That straw endured many mistakes, and two surface molts (the first one because I didn't know what I was doing-she was my first molting experience, and the second was when she was dug up during a move for transport). Ah, misty water colored memories of the way we were. Miss those guys. :| But I do have a great colony now to console me. :)

Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:46 pm

landlubber wrote:Thanks Jellybean,

The older ones go through so much with us, what a history, ya know? I think that straw (biggest trooper I ever saw) would have lived 10 years and more had I not lost her in a shell rot epidemic. She was one of my first three hermies (first one died-she was the replacement and we didn't even know she was a different species-the second original lived two years until she was killed in a shell fight with a pre-molt crabby crab and I was so mad that that killer crab-he killed a perfectly happy, healthy, little scrapper). That straw endured many mistakes, and two surface molts (the first one because I didn't know what I was doing-she was my first molting experience, and the second was when she was dug up during a move for transport). Ah, misty water colored memories of the way we were. Miss those guys. :| But I do have a great colony now to console me. :)
Isn't it crazy to think about!? I was in the same boat as you! My little Jefferey is a trooper!
It is great to have a good colony now and yours looks beautiful!
14 PPs
Follow my hermie instagram account: jellyhermies