pretty sad

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Laurie LeAnn

pretty sad

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:40 am

pretty sad when you have to break out the hand books at work and copy parts out and laminate to post them by computers for certain patrons to see that have excerpts about behavior and internet use and the appropriate sites and put Vulgar and boisterous behavior will not be tolerated in the library, we have the right deem what is an appropriate web site due to mature content and can ask you to exit the site. if the behavior continues we have the right to ask you exit the building. yes its pretty sad when a 23 yr old has to act so immature and drag his hoodlum buddies in here and show off and go dating web sites and make off color and nasty remarks and when something is said his remark is oh mrs magee does not care..I have called him on it and that did nothing. I told monica my boss. well the cops number is right by my desk. I think the sign has curb his behavior!!

Topic author
Crabber85

pretty sad

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:58 am

@Laurie, I don't know how it is at your Library but at mine we use the PINE library card system so you have to scan your card at the front desk to get computer time then you have to scan it again at the computer to activate it so every website you visit gets logged to your card and if you decide to pull up any adult websites your card gets blocked/de-activated and you recieve a fine of no less than $100.The big thing is the people who work the front desk have the ability to see what each and every patron is looking at while they are looking at it while online and if someone is attempting to or has pulled up an adult website the people at the front desk can just simply shut that patrons computer down and block/de-activate the library card used to access that computer.Needless to say we don't have any issues with patrons going on dating sites and the like.This new computer management system is relatively new only having been put into place in 2012.I think if your library could implement a similar system it would fix the abuse issues your seeing now.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

pretty sad

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 am

we have a total dif system, we don't use cards anymore. well we make you a card and it basically just gets put in a Rolodex. it's for checking books out, very low budget here. we are on line with other libraries in Illinois, the bigger ones might have dif comp usage systems. I can see everything they do from where I sit, this library is so small, I mean really..I am about 10 feet away from them if even that.. Monica used to be able to block things from her comp and that would block everything on the others but it would end up blocking anything and everything with a key word or even with out.. like one day I tried to look up my insurance comp. it was blocked. for some reason we are having a hard time just blocking on the individual comp and even googling it and you tubed how to is not working. monica has spent all day now trying to de bug our comp and now the printers are all messed up, board meeting wed night and she hasn't got anything done on it. we have told them no pay no play.. well now it's no play at all we have banned the chat / date sites and have it posted!! when they come in we will tell them that's it, no more! thats about all it takes around here is word of mouth and then if we catch them on it they will be banned from the library. no one is smart enough to erase their history on a comp when they are done and I know how to check it and we know who is on them and when cause they don't get used that much. the behavior has got better just now we think the site they were on gave us very sickly computers! they were working fine until they came in and started messing on these sites..we have it in the policy book we have the right to ban sites as we see fit, ask anyone to leave, don't have to take verbal abuse from anyone. it goes on and on we just never ever think to put them into action..

Topic author
Crabber85

pretty sad

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:02 am

Unfortunately it does sound like a piece or several pieces of Malware might have found their way onto the library computer system.You can find out easy and for free by using the ESET online scanner found here you'll have to run it from Internet Explorer on the main machine and it will tell you after a about thirty minutes or so if there were any viruses, malware or spy-ware found on the libraries computer system and will offer you the ability to remove them permanently."WARNING" the ESET online scanner free version is a one time only usage though there is a paid version.It seems like the library computer system would have a built in firewall and defense program installed and active.I remember you posted back around Dec that one of the librarians was downloading things like SKYPE and got a virus into the computer system then so you could also be seeing some residual effects from that infection which is common as all programs leave behind a trace or residue when they are removed and if the residue isn't also dealt with re-infection can happen at any time without anyone having to do anything to cause it.If the library has an I.T. tech on staff or that can be called I would highly recommend doing so as it sounds like the system itself needs some TLC from a professional.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

pretty sad

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:17 am

the skype was on my main comp that an other employee was using and denied doing anything to it. this is all happening to our one of brand new window 8 comp and a 5 yr old comp. I will mention this to Monica, she has tried to install norton virus protection and uninstall old versions to, it's huge mess!

Topic author
Crabber85

pretty sad

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:46 am

Norton is a poor anti-virus program it has one of the lowest detection and removal ratings of all the available anti-virus/anti-malware programs on the market.Monica would do better installing the free version of AVAST it's a much more powerful and accurate program having the second highest detection and removal rate in anti-virus/anti-malware programs on the market.Kapersky and Malware-Bytes are also good anti-virus/anti-malware programs.McAfee is another poor program that has a really low detect and removal rate, it's actually as bad as Norton.I've used McAfee, Norton and AVG and AVG was the best out of the three as it actually stopped infections before they occurred but the program is a resource hog and was slowing down my lap top so I un-installed it and now I'm using Windows Security Essentials which works as good if not better than AVG and doesn't bog my computer down.
#Autism Speaks.