Make A Wish/ Batkid story.

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:10 pm

This has to be one of the coolest things I've seen the Make A Wish foundation do.They literally turned downtown San Fransisco into Gotham city and he participated in saving a damsel in distress, got to nab the Riddler and defuse a bomb with Batman all because of the Make A Wish foundation. This kid has survived Leukemia on top of it all...
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jenok

Post by jenok » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:51 am

Yeah I thought that was pretty awesome too. But I don't understand how they can go from have batman just visit 1 kid who has a wish to doing the whole batkid thing with another that seems a little unfair. I was reading yahoo the first time this was brought up awhile back getting ready for it and it stated that others kids have had batman related wishes but none was took to this extreme.(Not exact wording)

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:18 am

@Jenok, it really depends on the city where the child is as some cities just wont do much where as the city of San Fransisco was willing to go the extra mile.Some of the kids who get this particular themed wish are bed ridden so participating in anything other than a meet and greet with the Caped Crusader is not feasible.I agree that it stinks that theres no real equality from one similar wish to the next but I believe that the Make A Wish foundation can only do so much depending on the child's health and the willingness of the community to help make it happen.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Our nursing home just did the annual saint Jude fund raiser. They give out wreaths to businesses and we decorate them and we also do extra ones on own, then they provide a soup supper of free will donation and with the residents and family also any community / public that wAnts to come bid on the wreaths can. The first 1000$ goes to st. Jude then the rest goes to a local family that needs it that has cancer. Last yr was a 12 yr girl she died but we did wonders for her! This year is a baby, brysen. He has had one tumor removed and now Saturday is having another one removed. My wreaths brought 65$ and I bought one for 30$'I look forward to this fund raiser every yr. I don't think anyone even thought of the make a wish for our little 12 year fighter. I guess our town is just a town that sticks together and takes care of its own. I guess this organization just wants to make the wish come true at no cost?

jenok

Post by jenok » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:57 am

@laurie I vaguely remember you saying something like that last year. I think that is a wonderful idea. @crabber I'm glad that MWF grants all those wishes its just sad not all get to have such an exciting time and not all kids get a wish they have to turn down so many.