Does anyone have any diy at home remidies for infected teeth.

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:39 pm

I have a tooth that has been loose for the last month or so and now it has become infected, I know I need to go to the doctor and get some antibiotics and then get the tooth pulled but I'm unemployed and don't have the money at hand it will take me several weeks to save up enough and need to be doing something to stave the infection until I have the money.So the question is does anyone here have any helpful diy remedies that I can use?
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Geranium

Post by Geranium » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Infections in the teeth/gums can be very dangerous and very painful. Be very aware of what it is doing. My daughter had a horrible time when she was much younger. She had three teeth abscess. The first caused a round red spot on the outside of her cheek/jaw, it was incredibly painful. We took her to the dentist who was shocked by how little pain she was in once I got her there and wanted to know what I had given her. We generally use alternative medicines exclusively. I gave her Homeopathic Arnica for the pain, swelling and for tissue healing and Homeopathic Hypericum for the nerve pain. She had the tooth pulled the next day as per his instructions. He warned me that that kind of infection can get into the blood stream, can damage the heart and can be deadly. She was three at the time so that may have been why he was that concerned. The next was about six months later and it created an abscess that was on the gum. It looked like a fever blister that was really full and like it might burst. It caused her no pain at all. He was less concerned about that one. Something about it being on the outside and contained. Also by this point we were using a product for teeth brushing that had grapefruit seed extract which kills all sorts of things, including thrush/yeast in some. That tooth got pulled but it was not an emergency, we got in when the oral surgeon had time. The third time was similar to the second and we didn't even pull that one, it was wiggly and getting ready to fall out on its own. He did do x-rays to make sure the pocket of infection did not touch any of the other teeth, most importantly the permanent ones. At that point we saw a Naturopath who put her on herbs to "clean her blood" and a diet of no sugar for a month. The no sugar included fruit even.Other things we did that seemed to help included rinsing several times a day with salt water which the oral surgeon who removed my older daughters wisdom teeth more recently advised to prevent infection after the tooth pulling. My husband had a tooth get infected and the grapefruit seed extract applied to his toothbrush with the paste relieved his pain. It tastes awful but most toothpaste covers the taste. We automatically do things to support the immune system as part of our general protocols. For strep we use garlic. For the younger set and those who can't swallow pills, we make garlic lemonade. Steep 3 pieces of garlic in 2 quarts of water for 5 minutes, add the juice of 1-2 lemons depending on whether you like lemon or not, then add pure maple syrup or honey to the point where you can get it down, less is better. It would probably help with an infected tooth. Can't imagine how it would hurt.If you are in a lot of pain, have that red spot on your cheek, and/or a fever, I would seriously consider a visit to the emergency room. My understanding is that if it gets that far it is a medical emergency, not just a dental one.

Keg

Post by Keg » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:03 pm

http://www.211.orgDial 211 on the phone for free referrals. They can help direct you to low-income health care assistance if its available in your area.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:04 am

@Geranium, the swelling has stopped on its own and yes its only on the gum right under the tooth so it hasn't gone that far yet.I brush my teeth religiously and rinse with a hydrogen peroxide mix several times a day and it seems to be helping.I've found a clinic that does dental free of charge to those of us who are out of a job so I'm gonna be giving the number a call and go from there.Thanks to both of you for your help.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Plain Jane yellow listerine is what I use for mouth sores, gargle with when I have a sore throat, if I run out of cleaning stuff I dilute it and use it to. It's a germ killer.

Topic author
Geranium

Post by Geranium » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:52 pm

We used the gold listerine to kill athlete's foot. It only took a couple days of soaking in it for the fungus to die. It has not come back either.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:41 am

I did try to give the number a call but since the clinic is volunteer based they only work three days a week which are Tues,Wed and Thurs so I have to wait till this coming Tues to get my tooth pulled but on the bright side I wont have to pay for it.I've got a weeks worth of antibiotics(Amoxicillin) I'm picking up on Sunday, had to wait due to the holidays but I will be starting in the next couple of days and which should kill the infection and buy me the time I need to make it to the dentist office.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Geranium

Post by Geranium » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:54 am

Glad to hear youve got a plan in place. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:58 am

@Geranium, thanks and yeah I'm feeling way more relieved as the swelling has gone down significantly own its own over the last couple of days which for me is a good sign and now I have a place I can get my dental needs seen to.Again thanks for the thoughts and prayers.
#Autism Speaks.