nail in my eco earth

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Laurie LeAnn

nail in my eco earth

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Thu May 28, 2015 2:53 am

Today I went to stir up my eco earth and I found a huge bent rusty nail! I just changed out my bedding a few weeks ago and just put all the bricks in my tank instead of one by one it takes to long w 9-12 bricks, some didn't break up very well so I just covered them and thought in a few weeks I will just go in and break them up . Well that's what I found! Oh you bet I wrote zoo med on their web site and told them off and told them if they want proof I have the nail. Can't take the eco earth back now can I? I have a receipt but it's from Feb. And one brick left So can't say hey I found this nail in your unopened brick of eco earth..make look like an idiot. I had the eco earth so long cause I couldn't change it , I hurt my arm again so I had to wait. I will let you know their responses

Topic author
Crabber85

nail in my eco earth

Post by Crabber85 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:05 am

@Laurie, if you remember back in 09/10' when Crabby Abby posted about finding foreign debris in her new bricks of EE and if I'm not mistaken she said there was some broke plastic shards among some other stuff.This is not at all uncommon with Eco Earth because of the way the coconut husks are gathered, ground up, shredded and then compressed and packaged a lot of things that shouldn't be in the product wind up in it anyway.This is why Crabby Abby encouraged EE users to thoroughly check the bricks before putting them in the hermitcrabs enclosure.Please do keep us update though.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

nail in my eco earth

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri May 29, 2015 5:53 am

I was to send a pic of the nail & I did w a pic of my tank as proof they are to send me a brick of eco earth as a I'm sorry this happened to you.. No I don't remember this happening to anyone.. are you kidding me..today I guess I took out the butter and put it on the table and was looking for the butter and was getting mad cause there was no butter!! Then I turned around and there it was.. I asked Darryl if he got it out? He said no..I did it..I don't remember doing it at ALL!

jenok

nail in my eco earth

Post by jenok » Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Been there done that. Getting older sucks and I still have a long ways to go.

Laurie LeAnn

nail in my eco earth

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:40 pm

Well since I found that stupid nail and iMixed up the eco earth around it ( it was in a hunk of it ) and I was breaking it up then I found it..I started getting fuzzy mold! Little white dots showing up every where and growing fur! I tried mixing it again w salt water it didn't do anything. Just made the mold worse. My temp and humidity was fine. Zoo med was supposed to send me eco earth but I couldn't wait.. I had to super clean my tank, took two trips to the land fill with the eco earth and a 60 miles round trip to get 120 pounds of sand and haul it in the house. The next day I had fibromyalgia flares so bad I couldn't walk I contacted zoo med again sent them pictures of mold, empty tank, receipt of sand going to send me new e.e. ..Not using it!