Substrate question- Perlite

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
erbaker

Post by erbaker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:56 am

I have seen some information online regarding using organic potting soil as a LHC substrate, as long as it is without perlite. Does anyone have any information regarding why perlite shouldn't be used? The perlite I have is not treated with any types of chemicals or additives, as it is used for hatching reptile eggs. I thought that it would probably hold moisture pretty well, allowing my crabitat to have the higher humidity that they need. Any information that you can give would be great, I have found very little information regarding this topic online. Thanks for the help!

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:22 am

From what I know of Perlite its a volcanic glass that comes from the hydration of obsidian and is very similar to diatomaceous earth in its chemical structuring and diatomaceous is very toxic to insects because of the way it works it actually cuts into the exoskeleton stealing all of the moisture out of the body of the insect effectively killing it via dehydration.The commercial grade Perlite is actually dehydrated during processing which causes it to swell up to more than ten times its original size it can then retain some water when re-hydrated but because its physical structure as been fixed rigidly by the initial dehydration it this structure wont move much at all so it wont really take on that much water.The issue here for me is that the hermitcrabs are going to eat this stuff and though it has no aquatic toxicity doesn't mean it won't cause internal harm to the hermitcrabs when ingested as it could easily lead to intestinal impaction.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
erbaker

Post by erbaker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:11 am

Thank you! I appreciate your help and response

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:09 am

Your welcome.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:30 pm

Play sand at your local Lowe's is about 4$ or a stack of 3 bricks of eco earth usually run about 9$.I love sand from king cause it's white, the only thing is its hard to get rid of here. Eco earth is easy to get rid of but I don't like it.. my crabs don't like it either.