best food for new crabs

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
jasonmom

best food for new crabs

Post by jasonmom » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:10 am

Just came home with new PPs. I got honey / honey cone. What other foods are best for new stressed out crabs?

Crabber85

best food for new crabs

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Mushed bananas, raw or organic peanut butter, whole raw shrimp with the tails still on and lots of calcium via cuttle-bone, white calci-sand and crushed egg shells.Right the crabs are going to want to have the nutrients required for molting and energy renewal.I typically use the honey on an every other day basis for newly purchased hermits and I use the shrimp and bananas to fill in the other days.Rolled or dried oats are also a good food item to throw in to the diet plan as well as organic baby foods like carrots, squash and apples.Other than that just give them the four weeks quiet time and you should be good to go.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
jasonmom

best food for new crabs

Post by jasonmom » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks. So far I got in the honey, cuttle bone, and some squid. Will get banana & shrimp tomorrow and put in some egg shells this weekend.

Topic author
jasonmom

best food for new crabs

Post by jasonmom » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:51 am

They have been all over the honey (as well as rest of tank). Saw a couple sitting on dish with honey for quite awhile though.

Laurie LeAnn

best food for new crabs

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Use like a small lid for the honey, it will keep them from getting it all over the place or them...beech nut is a good baby food for organic. I get small snack size baggies and put the baby food in it and freeze it then when I need some I break a chunk off and it thaws fast.

Topic author
jasonmom

best food for new crabs

Post by jasonmom » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:13 am

I looked at baby food at local Wal-Mart. Couldn't find organic .