How often change out saltwater?

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

jasonmom

Post by jasonmom » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:43 am

My saltwater pool is a small dish used with painting. Guess there is about 2 cups worth. How often should I change it out? I change out my freshwater (spring water) each day as I change out food. It has about 1/3 cup in it.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:12 am

Frequency of water changes really depends on several things, how many crabs are using the dishes, how much water do they hold and how much money are you prepared to spend on dechlorinator drops and salt mix.Personally for dishes smaller than half a gallon I like to change them out daily making sure to rinse and wipe them out well.You may notice that your crabs drop noodles in their water and drag in substrate with them so the level of pollution will control how often you should be changing the water out in smaller non-filtered dishes/pools.Doing the recommended daily water changes on the salt water pool is going to make having the ten gallon boxes of salt mix like Instant Ocean a much cheaper alternative as the boxes will last you longer and cost less in the long run.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jasonmom

Post by jasonmom » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Wooops . I have been changing the drinking water daily, but not the saltwater. I do use Instant Ocean. Haven't seen anyone in saltwater pool sense that first day. I just thought about the fact it is on corner farthest away from heat source. Maybe once I'm up to optimal on heat/humidity they will be more interested.