aggressive or curious

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
jasonmom

aggressive or curious

Post by jasonmom » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:43 am

One of my new crabs - calling him Brutus - has an interesting behavior I can't figure out. When ever he comes in contact with other crabs he gets very touchy feely. He has went so far as to pick another guy up. He is one of the larger guys (still small), and has already changed shells at least once. It was wild watching him roam all over the tank this morning and each and every crab he came to he stopped and interacted with. Most of the other guys just stood there. Some retracted into their shells (one falling off rock they were on).Do you think he is just really friendly or is this what aggressive PPs do?

Crabber85

aggressive or curious

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:03 am

It sounds like it might be a case of aggression because hermitcrabs typically don't treat each other as anything more than rocks preferring to climb over each other as if they weren't even there.For a hermitcrab to pick another one up and shake it is a very aggressive act and shouldn't be tolerated so I would suggest keeping a constant watch for the next few days and if Brutus keeps up his macho man antics you may have to separate him from the others.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.