Could this be love?

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
Crabby71

Could this be love?

Post by Crabby71 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:53 pm

So, I purchased a hermit crab yesterday. I am planning to get Sebastian some friends next weekend. The weird thing is, he's fixated on this scallop shell that I have in his crabitat. He sits near it, crawls all over it and it looks like he's picking at it. Is this okay? Do you think it's because he's lonely or trying to figure out a way to wear it? He's got a nice little pile of assorted natural shells, but he is loving on the scallop shell for right now,lol.I would have gotten a friend yesterday, but the others were much bigger and I wasn't sure that was okay.

jenok

Could this be love?

Post by jenok » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:08 am

Do you have any calcium in the tank for your crab? It may be "picking" at the shell trying to get little pieces to eat for calcium. Cuttlebone from the bird section of any pet area is a very cheap but good source for it. I take mine and shred or grate it into a powder like substance so its easier for them to eat they seem to like it better than just putting a chunk of it in.

Topic author
Crabby71

Could this be love?

Post by Crabby71 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:36 pm

That's a good point. I did put some egg shells in there last night, so hopefully that should help.

Keg

Could this be love?

Post by Keg » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:43 pm

Egg shells are good. Tell us if he notices it. Don't be surprised if he doesn't notice it, just leave it in there.Come to think of it, you may be right about him being lonely. Sometimes isolated crabs seem to gather objects together as if it comforts them. I think when they are with other crabs, they scatter everything, or at least it seems that way.