Water Question

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Michael

Water Question

Post by Michael » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:01 pm

I've purchased my kids 3 small hermit crabs this week, and I have read that they need saltwater and fresh water pools in the tank. I have room to put one pool being I only have a 10 gallon tank for them at the moment, I made the pool a saltwater pool, and I put a small water dish and sponge with fresh water. Is this setup ok or should I do something different?

Crabber85

Water Question

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:51 am

@Michael, hi and welcome to the forum.The only thing I would do differently is the sponge, hermitcrabs can't physically drink from sponges because of the way their mouths are made they have to pick the water droplets up with their pinchers and then pass that along to their third maxillipeds(mouth) where the water gets drawn in by the tiny hairs that line it via capilary action.The sponge would only be stealing water from them locking it away making it inaccessible to them.Since your only using a ten gallon starter tank I would opt for two smaller dishes one for fresh and one for salt water this will allow you to fit both in while still maintaining some space.You will find in about six months time that the crabs have outgrown the ten gallon and will need to be moved to something larger and this is the normal pattern we all followed. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Michael

Water Question

Post by Michael » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:10 am

Thanks for the welcome, and for answering my question. I will take the sponge out of the fresh water and I was thinking about just putting it in the salt water pool, so they will have something to climb onto while in the pool ( poll is a small paint tray). I have also put some fake aquarium plants in the habitat with them, is that ok or should I be worried about them eatting them?

Crabber85

Water Question

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 am

As long as its aquarium safe and doesn't say that it glows in the dark is should be just fine.If your hermitcrabs are being fed properly then you shouldn't have to worry about the eating the tank decorations as they will only do that if they are missing something from their diet.Sea sponges can be used in water but they need to be taken out and cleaned daily because they have so much surface area they tend to grow bacteria like a petri dish and the strains that they typically grow are considered to be very harmful staph and E.coli are the two most commonly found on wet unwashed sea sponges.The way to keep your sponge sterilized is to soak it in clean water for a few hours then allow to completely air *Warning* a sponge that is even a little damp will quickly shrink to nothing when you do the next and final step which is to microwave the sponge for two or three minutes the microwave will kill anything left behind after the sponge has been well rinsed and air dried.The best way to do this is to have multiple sponges on hand so that you can always have a clean and sterile sponge to rotate into the water dish while the dirty one is being cleaned.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Water Question

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:57 pm

For the most part.. most of us ditch the sponges... to much of a pain in the butt to keep zapping them all the time. Keep your eyes peeled for yard sales, goodwill, salvation army..they usually have fish tanks cheap and pet co has sales to. Then keep your 10 for a iso tank. You will be so much happier with a larger tank. If you haven't read some of the things on here some of key points to healthy crab in the " now " is let it be.. just feed and water them, don't handle them for a month. Make sure their temp and humidity is correct. Heat mat is on back side of tank and proper size, sand or eco earth is right depth. If they go down don't dig them up.. it's their way of saying I've had enough..I'm out of here! Or ahhhhhh! I can finally molt after getting out of that crappy pet stores conditions.. some Crabs don't make it..it has nothing to do with what a person has done. They were in a weak state.. it's called post purchase stress or pps..i have had crabs over the years now I'm down to just 2 one I've had since 2009, kind of getting out of it.. if they die on me in done.. but I love to watch them. Mine are in a 55 gal tank and larger than ping pong about tennis ball for crabby paddy my oldest!! There is a food list on here..it's really good to go by! I haven't bought crab food in years! Welcome to crabbing