Bugs in tank

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Horsejazz34

Bugs in tank

Post by Horsejazz34 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Went to feed my crabs today and saw little almost microscopic bugs crawling through the sand. What are these things and should I be worried. How do I get red of them.
Two purple pinchers from the jersey shore. Ocean and Butterfly mommy will always love you.

Crabber85

Bugs in tank

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Sounds like it might be mites what color are they?Food mites which are white are harmless to the hermitcrabs as they are not predatory towards them preferring to snack on wet or moist foods left over in the tank.Brown and Black mites are considered more serious however and can pose a risk to your hermitcrabs.You can order Hypoaspis mites which are harmless to the crabs off the internet they will eat the other nuisance mites in the tank.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Bugs in tank

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:59 pm

If you don't want them in your tank your going to have to a deep clean. Crabs need to be dipped in seperate water to rinse shells out using their type of water. I did this to help vet rid of any that might be in them. Anything that is washable wash off with their water in the sink and rinse well other stuff I would toss unless if you bake it to kill off bugs. Take all sand out and spray w vinegar then you you have to rinse very well and rinse again several times& dry. Use new sand. ( check sand before you put it in make sure your sand isn't tainted.) Any who this is how I handle bugs

Horsejazz34

Bugs in tank

Post by Horsejazz34 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:47 am

Defiantly brown bugs. Yuck how to a bath them.
Two purple pinchers from the jersey shore. Ocean and Butterfly mommy will always love you.