topper (finally) (picture heavy)

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

topper (finally) (picture heavy)

Post by gunstreet.girl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 pm

So, I started building this topper last year for my motley colony of rescues/surrenders (between 6 and 8 PPs ranging from small to x-large - I'm hands-off so not 100% sure how many at the moment), but then the last 8 months turned into utter garbage with family tragedy after family tragedy, and my heart and mind just weren't into it. Finally got a bit of energy back yesterday and with the temperatures over 40 degrees C, pulled myself away from the garden, turned on the AC, and got 'er done. And of course big herm immediately tunnelled in - he's about as good with change as I am :lol: Still waiting on an order of eco earth, cork, more plants to try to hide the UTs a bit better (though I do kinda like the Beetlejuice-y look of the stripes), and cholla, and am going to downsize the giant pools as my guys -- they don't swim. But for now, it will do..

Please forgive the large quantity of terrible photos - the crabitat is in front of a south-facing window which normally gets a lot of beautiful natural light, but of course today the weather turned to thunder showers..

Specs: bottom tank is a front-opening herp tank (~55G) with plexi in front of the doors to increase sub depth (currently ranging 9"-11" across the tank, to be increased to 12"). Topper is a 24W x 18D x 12H ExoTerra (about 23G). Sub is ecoearth with crushed oyster shell mixed in. Humidity stays at a comfortable 85%-95%, temps across the tank range from a cool side of 80 to warm side at around 86, at the moment.

overall view of topper:

topper, right side. large silicone-mounted ledge, large hanging aquarium wood, back corner moss pit. bottom corner you can see the large hanging lower-level shell-shop for large and medium shells:

the first brave penthouse explorer, chilling on the ledge (colour washed out by flash - he's a deep oak-y brown IRL):

topper, left side. upper level shell-shop with medium and small shells, cholla bridge, grapevine, moss vine, fishing net:

bottom tank, right side. large elevated shell-shop, gourd hut, moss vine (not pictured: large pools):

bottom tank, rear left corner, looking down from penthouse, hermies having a town-hall on the small magnaturals ledge:

still not sure they approve:

two littles galloping in for dinner:

piratetoothgir

Re: topper (finally) (picture heavy)

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:46 pm

I cannot view the pictures :(
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:03 pm

Looks great! Can we see a picture of the tank with the topper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:51 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Looks great! Can we see a picture of the tank with the topper?

Sure, though between the lighting and the humidity I don’t know that you can really see much of anything :wink:

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Okay, that didn’t work.. not sure why I can’t post the link from my phone..

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:01 pm

There we go.. pools are getting replaced this week.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Awesome! So you didn’t flip your exo terra upside down? I flipped all of mine upside down. I wanted to keep the humidity in.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:19 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Awesome! So you didn’t flip your exo terra upside down? I flipped all of mine upside down. I wanted to keep the humidity in.

I bought the exo topper off a local gent who used to be a member here, he had already removed the bottom and removed the screen top and covered half with plexi, I plexi-ed the other side of the top. The whole tank is airtight and, as evidenced by the moisture on the glass, holds humidity very well. I added a lot of weight to the topper by mounting large, heavy items so I wanted to ensure max stability. Flipping an exo upside down wouldn’t have worked with the amount of weight I put into it.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 pm

I see yours does hold the humidity well! :)

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:16 am

Stella wrote:I cannot view the pictures :(
Hmm.. that’s odd, i’m Not sure why.. this is my first time posting pictures so I fully expected to screw it up, but seems like others are able to see them..

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:35 am

gunstreet.girl wrote:
Stella wrote:I cannot view the pictures :(
Hmm.. that’s odd, i’m Not sure why.. this is my first time posting pictures so I fully expected to screw it up, but seems like others are able to see them..
I use Tinypic, which is really easy to use.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:54 am

Whenever I need to post pictures, I just go to tapatalk :)

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:59 am

I post pictures from Tapatalk, but I get an icon with a tear down the middle of it where the photos should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Gorgeous!!!
gunstreet.girl wrote:So, I started building this topper last year for my motley colony of rescues/surrenders (between 6 and 8 PPs ranging from small to x-large - I'm hands-off so not 100% sure how many at the moment), but then the last 8 months turned into utter garbage with family tragedy after family tragedy, and my heart and mind just weren't into it. Finally got a bit of energy back yesterday and with the temperatures over 40 degrees C, pulled myself away from the garden, turned on the AC, and got 'er done. And of course big herm immediately tunnelled in - he's about as good with change as I am Image Still waiting on an order of eco earth, cork, more plants to try to hide the UTs a bit better (though I do kinda like the Beetlejuice-y look of the stripes), and cholla, and am going to downsize the giant pools as my guys -- they don't swim. But for now, it will do..

Please forgive the large quantity of terrible photos - the crabitat is in front of a south-facing window which normally gets a lot of beautiful natural light, but of course today the weather turned to thunder showers..

Specs: bottom tank is a front-opening herp tank (~55G) with plexi in front of the doors to increase sub depth (currently ranging 9"-11" across the tank, to be increased to 12"). Topper is a 24W x 18D x 12H ExoTerra (about 23G). Sub is ecoearth with crushed oyster shell mixed in. Humidity stays at a comfortable 85%-95%, temps across the tank range from a cool side of 80 to warm side at around 86, at the moment.

overall view of topper:

topper, right side. large silicone-mounted ledge, large hanging aquarium wood, back corner moss pit. bottom corner you can see the large hanging lower-level shell-shop for large and medium shells:

the first brave penthouse explorer, chilling on the ledge (colour washed out by flash - he's a deep oak-y brown IRL):

topper, left side. upper level shell-shop with medium and small shells, cholla bridge, grapevine, moss vine, fishing net:

bottom tank, right side. large elevated shell-shop, gourd hut, moss vine (not pictured: large pools):

bottom tank, rear left corner, looking down from penthouse, hermies having a town-hall on the small magnaturals ledge:

still not sure they approve:

two littles galloping in for dinner:
Crazy Crab Lady

CrabberCuber

Post by CrabberCuber » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Very cool. turned out great! I've always been interested in trying a topper. I think after seeing this I'm going to start searching for whats possible on a 75g... Thank you for sharing this.