What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

megmaholm

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by megmaholm » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:02 pm

shanedaman112 wrote:I'm interested in the shells, you think I maybe could get some too?
If parker_roo doesn't want all of them, I'll let you know what's left! :)

Sooo today my crabs have mostly been extremely boring. I have one in iso, and I think he's just about ready to go back to the main tank. His iso tank was a little chilly so I stuck some toe warmers on the inside, covered it with a blanket, and in less than an hour got the temp in it up to 75. Not as hot as I would usually go, but at least it's safe. I caught him soaking in the salt water, and he's moving around fine. He hasn't eaten yet, but I've only had food in there for him since this morning since he's still munching on his exo. Hopefully he'll eat tonight and I can get him moved back to the 55.

I meant to ask before, but what kind of moss do you guys use for your moss pit? I've just been using sphagnum moss for orchids, and my crabs are just kind of 'meh' about it.They don't love it, don't hate it.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:10 pm

I've posted about moss before -- I use something called Forest Moss from Petco

Here is the thread where CallaLily gives a link to the actual product(s)....

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=100690

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:23 pm

moonbeam wrote: I had my crabs in a tote for the first 4 months I owned them. They LOVED the tote. I swear when I moved them back in it to redo the tank they threw a party. I think they loved how private it was. They didn't seem to care when I opened it for food/water changes. They freak anytime I come near the tank. For anything. Except Bash. He's my fearless crab who never blinks an eye. Anyways, I'm sure your crabs will enjoy it for a whileImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes moon Violet is going crazy in the tote!!! Digging, climbing, hiding everywhere!! She was sleeping upside dwn on one of tree branches, earlier!! lol when I went to feed her, her lil eyes popped out of the mosspit!! funny!! as for Sunset, well she dug dwn & hasnt been seen since..

Sent from my HTC EVO, using tapatalk 2
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm telling ya my crabs went crazy when I put them in the tote and that was only for one night. They love those totes! Of course violet is going crazy lol. Hopefully sunset will come back up soon. She could be destressing from the move or maybe she'll come back up with hairy legs and toenails! Either way sounds like they're happy crabs!

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:19 am

Today has been awesome! Finally found isopods in the yard today Image they are so much fun to watch, assuming you can keep up with them! They're really fast. Also someone came up in the old tote today Image I was checking out the isopods (who are also in the tote) when I realized someone was coming up. I interrupted the crab twice and decided they needed a little more time coming out. When I finally checked again this is what I found: Image caked with sand! The only reason I knew who it was was because only one of my crabs sports a murex Imagelil mama came up! She is my favorite crab and she's been down for almost two months! She got bigger but she kept her awesome coloring. Salmon pink with dark grey. Love it! ImageImage I'm hoping this will liven Bob up too! They've been the original two since day one. They used to go everywhere together. I'm so excited she's back!

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:35 am

Yay! That's a nice looking crab you got there!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 am

Yay I'm so happy your crabby came up healthy! My favorite crab is a salmon pink too I'm still waiting on my original crab to come up from a molt....
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:02 am

I was so worried about that little girl! I was convinced I had killed her and she was never coming back up but sure enough there she was :) thanks guys! I think she's pretty cute too :) ryry, it's funny the two crabs that are my favorites personality wise are both salmons and they're both all over the place! It's always the odd balls Image I hope your original comes up soon! He's gonna be like what the?.... So much has been changed since you first started lol.

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:25 pm

moonbeam wrote:I was so worried about that little girl! I was convinced I had killed her and she was never coming back up but sure enough there she was :) thanks guys! I think she's pretty cute too :) ryry, it's funny the two crabs that are my favorites personality wise are both salmons and they're both all over the place! It's always the odd balls Image I hope your original comes up soon! He's gonna be like what the?.... So much has been changed since you first started lol.

It's so true! When he went down my tat had no pools and only had a few plant features. Oh and let's not for get there were only 5 crabs at that time... Now there are 10! And my tank is full of new stuff! It's been 3 weeks going on four- and he was a smaller crab... Soooooo I'm really hoping he will come out soon and I can stop holding my breath!!
Also I found foxface trying to escape...
Can anyone tell me if they can tell if foxface is male or female?
ImageImageImage
Don't leave me behind! I'll come with you!
ImageImageImage
That last picture is Foxface sleeping inside a bigger shell for Poseidon. Too cute!
All kinds of crabby!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:41 pm

Also the pink blob on foxfaces 'left leg' or his bp, what is that!? I was wondering if it was the molting sac- and then I realized I have no idea where that is supposed to be. I remember seeing a link to a picture or photo, but I can't find it. Anyone who can help find that link would be fly!
All kinds of crabby!

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:09 pm

Ok hard to tell. I wish he'd come out just a tad further! But I think foxface might be a male? Either way, what a cutie! But you know how I feel about that gorgeous salmon coloring Image I have no idea what the pink...blob?... Is. No clue lol. I think the molt sac is supposed to be somewhere underneath near the abdomen but hopefully someone can find that link because I feel like I'm telling you wrong infoImage

Btw that picture of foxface in the big shell melted my heart Image️ here's squirt when I first brought her home. This shell was her hang out for quite some time! Image

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:14 pm

I don't see any gonopores but it's not the best angle and I'm on my phone.

The pink blob...no idea. Is it soft or hard? It's definitely not a molt sac. There's a good pic of a molt sac here: http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Hermit-C ... -a/138.htm

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:38 pm

The pink blob is a mystery to me as well. Is it still there? It kinda looks like gum. The only thing I've seen stuck on my crabs like that is crushed Wode cookies lol.

parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:27 pm

So I know I have been posting a ton of stuff in this topic, and I wanted to post another cool thing about one of my crabs, and I don't think anyone will mind.

Yesterday, I came into my room to check out my tank, and I could not find my hermit crab. I then heard some noise, and I looked up, and there was my Ollie just chilling upside down holding on to my card board lid to the tank. It has some holes cut out in it, and that is where Ollie was hanging out. I have no idea how she managed to get all the way up there, but I can tell you that I am very impressed! Here is a few pictures of Ollie being ninja.

The only problem, was that she couldn't get down. And I couldn't help her, because if I took the lid off, she would fall. So I watched as she attempted to get down. After a few minutes, she slipped and feel onto the substrate and then rolled into the water dish. Image The dish is kind of deep, but not too deep. But I paniced and ripped the lid off and hurried to pull her out of the water. I felt so bad that she didn't just fall from the top if the tank, but she also rolled into the water! She is okay, but I think now she will think twice before going back up there. I am just wondering if she got stuck up there, and was chilling for an hour or two. Anyway, I just thought I would share. Thanks you guys!
***Let the crabby adventures begin!***

Ryry

What are your crabs up to?

Post by Ryry » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Parker- my violas do the same thing!
Oh and the pink spot is still there... I'll have to investigate further tomorrow
All kinds of crabby!