Egg Shells

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Egg Shells

Post by hermitcrab24 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Hello,
So recently I have started cooking, and I made some mini frittata's on Tuesday. I thought it would be a good idea to give my hermies some egg shells, since it requires 10 eggs. I found a post about egg shells, an older one I think, to see how to give them to them. I washed them out and let them dry, then broke off pieces to give the them. They pushed them aside and ate their regular food, so I left them in another day to see if they would try it, one was broken, but I don't know if they actually ate it. I made some more frittata's today and left the egg part in it like some people said in the older post. I made them this morning, with the eggs still be good by tonight? How long do egg shells last?

Oh, and by the way, we use cage free eggs, I don't know if it makes a difference.

hermieluv1

Re: Egg Shells

Post by hermieluv1 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:41 pm

It think once the shells are clean and dry, they are good for quite a while.

The only way mine will touch eggs is with hard boiled or the shell ground up. It is very good for them. Cage free or free ranging even better.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:48 pm

If they break it, they ate it
I serve the food to my crabs in eggshell halves. I rinse, dry in an off oven, an toss em in a ziploc, and offer 3-4 bowls with different foods. There are spots of broken off and crumbled eggshell sides all over.
I once left a dry mix for a long time, and the shell got so picked through that it looked like lace

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:11 pm

thank you. I will give them the egg shells I have to them tonight. I think using them as food bowls is a good idea :) . Wish I hadn't thrown away so many, thinking they would go bad :(

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:07 pm

When you're making scrambled/fried/poached eggs, there's always a little bit of the clear "goo" (albumin aka egg white) left in the shells. Combine all of the "goo" into one shell half, place it in the tank and watch the hermies dive in!

Like YYWW, I also use parts of egg shells as bowls if I'm offering something small, like a few tiny bits of broccoli or half a grape. They will pinch away at the shell so it can be left in after they've eaten the other food. I also grind up most of the egg shells and add it to their standard dry mix as an alternate to powdered cuttlebone.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:52 am

Crabinski wrote:When you're making scrambled/fried/poached eggs, there's always a little bit of the clear "goo" (albumin aka egg white) left in the shells. Combine all of the "goo" into one shell half, place it in the tank and watch the hermies dive in!
This!

I just toss egg shell halves in the crabitat raw. My crabs love them. Every once in a while I'll have to remove one after a while if it looks gross but most of the time the crabs clean them up really well and they keep just fine. If there are bits left after a while I just crush them up and leave them on top of the substrate.

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:30 pm

I put the "goo" in the eggshell into my crabitat last night, but realized the goo turned into a thin papery substance, but it was torn up when I woke up so I am assuming they liked it.