Cousin in the Marines

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
Bubu

Cousin in the Marines

Post by Bubu » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:15 pm

(This is more of a "pour my feelings out" post by the way)Today I had to say goodbye to my cousin, Daniel, whose going into the Marines. It was really hard for me, even though we've never really been THAT close. I don't see him on a regular basis, but I mean he's still my cousin and I love him. I have another cousin who was in the army, and I went through the same thing, even though I rarely see him either. I'm so upset, my mind keeps thinking about the worst that could happen to him. Anyone have a similiar situation and can possibly help me out through this? Any help is much appreciated.

Topic author

Cousin in the Marines

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:20 am

I'm sorry that this is happening to you and Your Family. A Friend of mine's Husband is set to leave for Iraq in a few days and she is a mess, I'm trying to help keep her chin up but I just don't know what to say to her. I love her and her Hubby, I don't want him to go either but it's something that he wants to do and we can't stop it. I Thank him for going to protect us and I pray that he comes back safe. I will add your Cousins to my list. If you ever need someone to talk to Please just pm me, ok? I am very Thankful to your Cousins for what they are doing for all of us and our Country.... Sandra

Topic author
Bubu

Cousin in the Marines

Post by Bubu » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:09 am

Thank you, and also thanks to KC for PMing me. You both helped me out, and its nice to know that you're both going to be here for me, I do appreciate that. I don't really have anyone here to talk to about it, so you don't know how much that means to me. I think he's leaving today, but I'm not positive. And I believe he's going to California for the training, so at least it'll be nice down there, right! He said he'd make sure to write to my family, so that makes me feel better. Anyhoo thanks again for everything

Topic author
Ren1216

Cousin in the Marines

Post by Ren1216 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:26 am

I also have 2 family members in the miltary, one is currently serving in Iraq now. Yes, it is terribly hard to say good-bye when they leave for duty... but what greater honor is there than to defend our country? I commend your cousin, for the work he is called to deserves our deepest thanks and respect. This may not make it easier on those of us left behind who will wait and worry while they are in harms way.... but it is a comfort to know that they serve because they want to. I have such great admiration for their loyalty to their country and their love for its people that they would put their lives on the line to protect us and our freedom.So while you are missing your cousin... say a prayer of thanks for him and for all those who serve with him, and continue to pray for their safe return. Be sure to write to him or email him while he is away, that contact from "home" helps in more ways than you know.

Topic author

Cousin in the Marines

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:56 am

My best friend is in the Air Force, and is currently doing a tour of duty in Iraq. I'm not happy about that, I worry about him. We talk on line when he can get access to a computer with an internet connection, and trade emails on a regular basis. I can understand you being worried for the safety of your family in the militar. But do please keep one thing in mind. If it weren't for the courage of those brave souls that step up and volunteer to serve in our armed forces, this country couldn't exist.

Topic author
kuplakrabs

Cousin in the Marines

Post by kuplakrabs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:04 am

My BIL left for Iraq soon after he married my sister and we were really upset. You always worry and imagine the worst case senario because you just don't know...I think emailing him was one of the best things to keep our spirits up! I use to email trivia questions back and forth with him. For each one he got right, I put a quarter in a jar. I told him we'd go out for a drink or a bite to eat with the do-re-me when he got back. It was also fun to make up care packages to send to him. Even if it was just some chewing gum and a magazine-he had something to look forward to. The time seemed to pass a little more quickly that way. I am proud to have all of those courageous men and women representing and protecting our country and making it safe for my family and me to live freely.

Rachel

Cousin in the Marines

Post by Rachel » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:14 am

I'm here for you too My husband is currently in Iraq. I know the feeling of having someone dear to you leave you. To put it simply, it s*u*c*k*s!!Be proud of your cousin!! IMO, he's doing the most couragous act anyone could possibly do!!

Topic author

Cousin in the Marines

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:23 pm

Hey Bubu, My brother has been in and out of Iraq a bunch of times, including the 1st Gulf War, when he was serving in the Army full-time. And, you are going to love this, he is in the Army Nat'l Guard, but he works in Iraq as a private security officer for this company called Blackwater. He actually chooses to go there, even though he wasn't sent by the military. Blackwater is the company that lost all those civilian lives in the helicopter that was shot down last year. My brother knew and worked with all of them. It totally freaks me out. He has a baby boy of 18 months and he is expecting a little girl in May and he is off to Iraq again in Feb.! I love him and this is what he does and wants to do, so I am supportive and I never say anything negative about it to him. His friends rag him and tell him he has to look for some other kind of job now that he has a family. But I know that he IS his job and could not do anything that he wasn't passionate about. I email him all the time when he is gone and send him letters and pictures that my kids draw for him, and I basically stay as positive about it as I can, even though I am sick with worry whenever something happens over there. I don't want any tension between us, I love him and that is all I ever want him to feel from me. Also, I stay in contact with my SIL and let her know that I am thinking of her and supporting her.Anyway, that is just how I deal with it, if that helps you at all.

Topic author
Bubu

Cousin in the Marines

Post by Bubu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:38 pm

Thanks, and I got some good news!He called my grandma on Tuesday, he could only talk for a moment or two, but he arrived safely. I'm not sure if he can write or receive anything, I heard from someone that while they're in the training process they aren't allowed to write. Not sure if thats true though. Oh and also on tuesday I got a birthday card from him! It surprised me, seeing as how my other cousins never send me cards, but he did! It really made my day, since my week hasn't been too good anyway. (I'm sick now lol) But it helped to know he was thinking about me, and it also helped to know he had arrived safely. I can't thank you guys enough for being so nice and supportive, and I'm surprised at the amount of people who have relatives in the service! Best of love to them too, and thank you all so much, again!

Topic author

Cousin in the Marines

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:58 pm

It's been awhile since I have been on the internet but I just wanted you to know that what your cousin is doing is the greatest thing he could do by serving his country. My husband was in Vietnam War and my youngest son served in the Gulf War. Both were injured/ill but they survived and would do it again. When your cousin comes home, give him a big hug and tell him I said Thank You for what he has done. This actually goes for everyone that has a loved one in Iraq.