SO MUCH POO!!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Fledgling

SO MUCH POO!!

Post by Fledgling » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:01 pm

The title pretty much says it. My adopted crabs are leaving me lots and lots of little presents. So many that I doubt I'm finding them all when I go to clean the top of the sub. I'm still pretty new, so I don't think I want to try isopods yet, but I don't think I can keep up with all this poo! If I am missing a bunch, what can I expect from the tank? Will it increase my chances of getting mites? Or something equally harmful to my crabbies?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

CrabMater

Re: SO MUCH POO!!

Post by CrabMater » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:13 pm

i find that they poo in waves. i find it every few weeks. im lucky bc they flush their toilets in the water dish a lot so its easy to find. i also find "piles" so its easy to clean. crab poop doesnt seem to stink & breaks down pretty quick. to my untrained eye. i also churn sub once all 3 crabs are up (the only time i handle thrm is to put thrm in a seperate tank while i do this) ive never had a bacteria bloom/mites. to date no isopds either. i went from a 10g to a 40b. once this last crab comes up I'll churn the sub and rearrange the decor. i find this helps me keep track of lost (buried) shells, varies their environment and lets me be sure there's no pooling. I've been crabbin for 14 months, not long I know but no breakouts, deaths, bacteria blooms or mites. knock on morponi wood.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:38 pm

My guys seem to poop everywhere but most popular potty spots are on wood or in moss pit! My eyes are not the best so I finally gave up trying to find the poop and got isopods:) I also churn my sub occasionally when all crannies are above sub. The poop offers natural healthy bacteria in the sub so no worries:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Mine poo in empty shells. Ticks me off a bit when the empty shells are in the shell shop. I work hard to keep those things clean!
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Hermias_mom wrote:Mine poo in empty shells. Ticks me off a bit when the empty shells are in the shell shop. I work hard to keep those things clean!
Lol! Mine too...the Isopods clean it up though Image

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

HermitHound

Post by HermitHound » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:34 am

My hermit crabs don't seem to eat much even though I give what is recommended on here :( and I have never seen poop...which is a sentence id never thought I'd be sad about saying

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:14 pm

HermitHound wrote:My hermit crabs don't seem to eat much even though I give what is recommended on here :( and I have never seen poop...which is a sentence id never thought I'd be sad about saying

Do you know what it looks like? They poop!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

HermitHound

Post by HermitHound » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:01 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
HermitHound wrote:My hermit crabs don't seem to eat much even though I give what is recommended on here :( and I have never seen poop...which is a sentence id never thought I'd be sad about saying

Do you know what it looks like? They poop!

Probably not! Lol

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:32 am

its like a long black/brown tube, similar to a chunky eyelash. if you have EE it can blend in quiet well to the substrate.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:34 am

Phew, ok. I'm happy it's ok if I miss a few droppings! I only have one crab up right now (unless my destresser is being a ninja) and he poops A TON!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:33 am

They poo in their shells, and then clean them out periodically into locations they choose themselves. Many crabs will kind of make themselves a toilet location in the tat somewhere. If you have a sand/EE mix, it can be easy to miss. Usually the same color as the EE.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

karlys

Post by karlys » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Mine have taken to dumping their poop in their coconut oil dish! I have found a little almost everyday for the past few days. :shock: :lol:

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 am

I have one crab who I've witnessed cleaning out his shell...it's disturbing. Anyway, he only seems to do it at the highest point in the tat. I wonder what that says about his ego "I am higher than all of you and now I shall poop on you"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 am

Also, has anyone tried using a tuekey baster to "suck up" the poo?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Sweet_Dee29

Post by Sweet_Dee29 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:16 am

I currently have 4 crabs. 2 I've had for 3 years and the other 2 ive had for 1 year. It didn't take the two newer crabs long once introduced to the new tank to realize there is a designated "**** pit" to throw their poop. It's the only spot in the tank I ever find poop, besides one other spot occasionally.

Once upon time my 2 crabs constantly threw their poop in the food dish, which was frustrating! But they all keep it in their one area now