Un-sticky situation

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
elly_bananas

Un-sticky situation

Post by elly_bananas » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:01 pm

So im having a super hard time keeping things like netting and the hanging coconut bridge from falling off the glass. I tried command strips, humidity approved command strips, doubling up command strips, hook type suction cups, command stripping said suction cups.... The coconut fell in the middle of the night, and half the netting the other day. Surfaces were pristinely cleaned. I just dont get it.

What am i doing wrong? Any suggestions? Ready to go in with my glue gun.... ugh.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

fandt94

Re: Un-sticky situation

Post by fandt94 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Ugh how irritating! This type of situation worries me too so I am constantly checking my suction cups. So far have only had 1 come lose but since I kind of went crazy with them the one didn’t cause anything to fall. I just moisten the cup and stick it back. That’s crazy that nothing seems to be holding up for you! Hope someone pops in with some ideas...
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Think im gonna try a different brand of suction cups. I was sitting here deep into Netflix and had an "ah-ha" moment and rigged the coconut to the center beam. But still questioning the net issue.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Did you throughly dry the surface beforehand? (Or is the surface your trying to stick things on in front of the UTH, which is warm and prone to things falling off?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Ok, so yes the area is clean, and... yes, i am trying to stick to a warm surface is that my problem right there?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:21 pm

elly_bananas wrote:Think im gonna try a different brand of suction cups. I was sitting here deep into Netflix and had an "ah-ha" moment and rigged the coconut to the center beam. But still questioning the net issue.

That's what I did with mine. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Un-sticky situation

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:34 am

I’m not sure if this will help, or if they come in smaller sizes. I have these suction cups that have a hook and you place it on the glass with the hook up then push the hook down and it creates a really tight seal. Image here is what they look like. I use them on my front porch to hang decorations up. I hope I explained them ok.
I read you can silicone suction cups to tile, wonder if that would be ok in a tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:19 pm

I use these in my shower. But ive never seen smaller ones. Headed to the store tomorrow, ill figure something out

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:13 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I’m not sure if this will help, or if they come in smaller sizes. I have these suction cups that have a hook and you place it on the glass with the hook up then push the hook down and it creates a really tight seal. Image here is what they look like. I use them on my front porch to hang decorations up. I hope I explained them ok.
I read you can silicone suction cups to tile, wonder if that would be ok in a tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love these!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:19 pm

The coconut hut is probably heavy, which is why some things aren't working. Sorry that you are having issues. You might need to use a zip tie to attach it to a branch or the center beam like you mentioned.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot you mentioned the net. I use the velcro command strips. Then I use the hooks with the velcro. I don't use anything to clean my glass but a paper towel. I wipe the glass really well with the paper towel. Then, I push command strip on with the hook and press it for a good 10-20 seconds. Then, don't hang anything on it for 5 minutes. After that - then you can hang it. This is what I use in my crabitats besides zip ties. :) Works for me, and my humidity is at 99% I do not mist my tanks though. If you mist your tank, this could be the issue. Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com