Tank Build Diary

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Tank Build Diary

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Wow. I dont think it's been quite 2 full years yet but I'm already upgrading. Never thought I'd be building a second tank right now but here I am! The face of crab-addiction lol

Just picked up my new tank today and it is perfect. 65 gal, 18 wide, 30 long, 24 tall. Got a glass lid with a joint in the middle. Guy I bought it from said he'd actually had hermit crabs in it!!

This represents a 20 gallon upgrade from my current tank. I currently have 5 medium to medium large crabs. The plan is to add 2/3 teenies/smalls and then hopefully just have this tat and colony for the foreseeable future. I think even w the addition of 2/3 more little guys this tat should be comfortable for everyone for at least a few years.

Gonna do egg crate and make lots of ledges/ramps. My BF just bought a new house that still needs alot of work before we're ready to move over. It will probably be 2/3 weeks before I'm ready to actually set this thing up. I cant wait for it to be finished!!!

Now how the heck am I gonna heat/humidify this thing???

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ROSIEonFIRE on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Tank Build Diary

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Upgrading is always fun! Actually the larger the tank the easier it is to keep it stable. Of course get a uth that covers the entire back, above substrate. I have a 90 gallon and have no problem with heat/humidity.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:19 am

One thing I'm wondering is, maybe it's good to have a temperature differential? In reptile husbandry you usually want one part of the tank to be cooler than the other. I dont really hear anyone talking about this re: hermit crabs but I've always tried to have a cool side in my tat

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:42 am

The way we set up the tanks, there is natural temperature differences - for example, the front of the tank will naturally be cooler than the back...

And of course, micro climates still occur (some spots will be naturally warmer than others due to positioning (top/bottom, near front/back or gaps in lid, water dishes ect)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:47 am

And they will dig down sometimes to cool off too.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:10 am

Hi! I have a 37 gallon tank for my adult crabs, the tank measures 30” long by 12.5” deep by 24” tall. I use the 23” by 11” Ultratherm from ReptileBasics to heat the crabitat, and it works very well! (Sometimes too well, so now its on a thermostat.) I have 12” of substrate in the tank so I don’t have to worry about heating areas lower than that. I would suggest starting out with just this heat mat and then adding another to the side(s) of the tank as needed.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:53 am

I was going to recommend reptilebasics for a heat mat for your tank, like pinchersandshells said. I have found them to be a little cheaper than beanfarm. I love your new tank, I can’t wait to see how you set it up, and your new crabbies added to your colony. I know what your going through with the move and waiting to set up a new tank, we were supposed to be moving in June and our house needed a little more than we thought. I like the dimensions of your new tank, you’ll have a lot of room for substrate and plenty of climby room left. So exciting! Congratulations on your new tank, very nice!

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:11 pm

So I got the tat stand. I didnt think to take a picture of the tank on the stand so I'm kicking myself about that but I will the next time at at the new house. In the meantime, heres a picture of the "stand". Its a dresser, the tat will go on top (obvs) and I'll keep my crab supplies in the drawers!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am

Looks awesome. I'd reccomend adding additional supports to the legs (like more legs) or cutting the legs off. A 65g tank filled with substrate will be heavy, and I think those 4 small legs won't be able to support the tank well.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:05 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Looks awesome. I'd reccomend adding additional supports to the legs (like more legs) or cutting the legs off. A 65g tank filled with substrate will be heavy, and I think those 4 small legs won't be able to support the tank well.

I was actually really concerned about this, but I have a friend who is a contractor who told me that it should be able to support the weight. I'm gonna see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:So I got the tat stand. I didnt think to take a picture of the tank on the stand so I'm kicking myself about that but I will the next time at at the new house. In the meantime, heres a picture of the "stand". Its a dresser, the tat will go on top (obvs) and I'll keep my crab supplies in the drawers!

I'm in LOVE with this stand!!!!! So jelly about this whole thread ImageImageImageImagecan't wait to see pictures!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:10 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:I was actually really concerned about this, but I have a friend who is a contractor who told me that it should be able to support the weight. I'm gonna see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

Ah ok. That's good. It's always good to have a qualified opinion!

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Ah ok. That's good. It's always good to have a qualified opinion!

I'm still scared though! But my friend said the worst that would happen is that the top would warp. I figure it was worth trying, hopefully if it cant hold the weight it won't just COLLAPSE lol. Well see!

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:17 am

ciaraalston wrote:I'm in LOVE with this stand!!!!! So jelly about this whole thread ImageImageImageImagecan't wait to see pictures!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks Ciara! Well see if it holds!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:54 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 am
I'm still scared though! But my friend said the worst that would happen is that the top would warp. I figure it was worth trying, hopefully if it cant hold the weight it won't just COLLAPSE lol. Well see!

I was picturing a collapse. :shock: