Found hermit in hotel laundry room

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
crabbymomofthree

Found hermit in hotel laundry room

Post by crabbymomofthree » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:00 pm

I found an abandoned hermit, pretty big, in the hotel laundry room, in small cage dried up sponge, so I I took it, I placed in tupperware with spag moss, healing foods, egg, with shell and cuttlebone, added some primed water, later on a few hours later I drove with family 4 hours home, now I am home, do I place this new crab in a 29 gallon, or let him or her destress in tupperware with foods and moss?

I have not set up my 29 gallon yet as my 3 new tiny ones from NJ beach last month, went under in a 10 gallon 2-5 days after I got them ( I was a newbie) and I was waiting till they all came back up.

New new rescue crab, well sadly, he also lost 1 limb today.

I do have a 3 gallon tank on hand, I can set that up as a isolation tank if need be tomorrow, with Eco and play sand, small heater I bought prior, hygrometer and small dishes of water: healing foods, and primed salt/and primed tap water. Please advise.
Last edited by crabbymomofthree on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PinchersAndShells

Re: Found hermit in hotel laundry r]oom

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm

Wow! I can’t believe someone would just leave him like that.
If I were in your situation I would isolate him until you can get the 29 gallon set up, keep on top of the healing foods and bring his temperature and humidity up to standard. Then when the 29 is setup you can put him in there, and add in your small ones as they come up from molting. Make sure he also has a spot to hide in the isolation! It’s important for him to de-stress.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
crabbymomofthree

Post by crabbymomofthree » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:21 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm
Wow! I can’t believe someone would just leave him like that.
If I were in your situation I would isolate him until you can get the 29 gallon set up, keep on top of the healing foods and bring his temperature and humidity up to standard. Then when the 29 is setup you can put him in there, and add in your small ones as they come up from molting. Make sure he also has a spot to hide in the isolation! It’s important for him to de-stress.
OK, so then it's a "yes" to setting up this eve the 3 gallon isolation tank. TY

Sorry if I sound stressed and frantic, I am very empathetic and worry about all critters, and now I worry about my new rescue "Chunky" he's huge compared to my wee little 3 babes from NJ last month...

OK, then I can do that right now, and get the heat and humidity up. and order a thermostat from Amazon now ....and then get that 29 gallon up tomorrow....

I worry he will dig under substrate tho, who knows when the lst time he molted was, but will set up 3 gallon now, i need him to get warm stat and more humidity...ok if I move him if he burrows in the 3 gallon? or should I leave him if he does dig, to destress of molt?

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:09 pm

I’d say if he does dig then wait, he’s the only crab in the 3 gallon so he should be fine.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:57 pm

In a hotel laundry room?? What the heck??!! I am so glad you found it and took it home!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
crabbymomofthree

Post by crabbymomofthree » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:35 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:09 pm
I’d say if he does dig then wait, he’s the only crab in the 3 gallon so he should be fine.
OK, success! Chunky's now in the lidded aquarium 3 gallon warm/humid iso tank. His mini hospital.

I think he may of ate some boiled egg in shell or was sniffing it, and powdered cuttlebone I put in, and he dug right under. I kept him covered as much as i could with towel.

The heat is at 80 degrees, humidity is at 85%...

He did lose a small leg :( and I placed it into ISO tank with him.

I did not have the PS I thought I had last night. neighbor kids dumped it outside when we were away.

So, I used only primed tap water to wet the EE I have, and hand wrung it and make it 6-7 inches deep in the 3 gallon to the side heat pad line its as high as I could get it on small tank

I also have a small tupperware dish with zip ties and plastic ramp, to help keep humidity up till I get smaller tubs tomorrow for both fresh and salt water pools.

Couple questions?
Can I boil frozen shrimp and give with him it, with the shell on it?

Should I get new PS in morning, I need it anyways 2/50 lb bags for 29 gallon, and make new batch of substrate to add lightly to tank tomorrow to deepen? Or leave it all EE as it is now?

He's way deep under as of 2:24 AM, and I don't want to disturb him any more then I have too.

TIA

Topic author
crabbymomofthree

Post by crabbymomofthree » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:46 am

curlysister wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:57 pm
In a hotel laundry room?? What the heck??!! I am so glad you found it and took it home!
Thank you. I had same "what the heck" moment too :shock: .........and scooped him right up to my hotel room, we left a day early to make sure he got proper care.

Now, hes fed, watered, warm and safe in his ISO tank with high humidity, I just hope he makes it now...

My poor Chunky, I fell in love with him the moment he looked at me with those big black eyes, like he was telling me, help me help me...

Now I need huge shells for a pants change, when he's ready...but can't measure him with my caliper, it would be too stressful to do that to my poor love bug now, he's still in his painted blue shell... one step at a time, one step...

KristenL0522

Post by KristenL0522 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:20 am

That’s terrible that they left him like that!! I really really don’t understand people. But you were meant to be there at that exact moment and saved him!! Thank you 😭 I have no advice as it looks like you’re covered for now. Just wanted to say thank you for saving Chunky... he needed you!! Hope he does well and thrives now!! ❤️❤️❤️

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:25 am

If your conditions aren't already up, you could put the iso inside your bigger tank if you have space. Saves on getting an extra everything in the meantime until sales are out!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Topic author
crabbymomofthree

Post by crabbymomofthree » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:32 am

Hi All, update:

I just checked on Chunky's temps in tank and, looks like he came back up, and possibly went in primed tap pool between 2:30 AM and now, its 9:30 AM EST, and his healing food, well, it's all over the place, I hope he ate some, and the substrate is all fluffed and messy, good sign!

I cant see him one bit, hes back under and there's allot of EE in the water tub, SO, I hope he took a dip and drink, just wish it was IO water in there, will get that now ASAP.

OK, off to get 2 new water tubbies for him at dollar tree, so in case he needs a salt bath, then he can soak...no sign of more lost limbs...getting oyster shells from tractor store too.and PS, and will make up the 29 gallon in case he comes up from de stressing....and not molting, I worry it's a small 3 gallon, emergency hermie tank.

Topic author
crabbymomofthree

Post by crabbymomofthree » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:34 am

Scarletfire wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:25 am
If your conditions aren't already up, you could put the iso inside your bigger tank if you have space. Saves on getting an extra everything in the meantime until sales are out!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Good idea, i'm going to set the 29 gallon up as soon as I am able, need more supplies, like crushed oyster shells, worm castings.. can do it tomorrow when kids are back at school, right now, hes 80 degrees, covered (will insulate more) and 89% humidity, thanks for the tip!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Found hermit in hotel laundry room

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:12 am

Great job on the rescue! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
crabbymomofthree

Post by crabbymomofthree » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:24 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:12 am
Great job on the rescue! :)
Thanks! And thanks to this group here and info, you all are a lifesaver for sure <3

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 pm

Kudos to you for rescuing a critter in need! Glad to hear he's safe with you now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

keeliaa

Post by keeliaa » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:45 pm

crabbymomofthree wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:46 am
Thank you. I had same "what the heck" moment too :shock: .........and scooped him right up to my hotel room, we left a day early to make sure he got proper care.

Now, hes fed, watered, warm and safe in his ISO tank with high humidity, I just hope he makes it now...

My poor Chunky, I fell in love with him the moment he looked at me with those big black eyes, like he was telling me, help me help me...

Now I need huge shells for a pants change, when he's ready...but can't measure him with my caliper, it would be too stressful to do that to my poor love bug now, he's still in his painted blue shell... one step at a time, one step...

Hey it’s been about two years now how is he? did he make it?