Help new crab!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Lkrus08

Help new crab!

Post by Lkrus08 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 am

Hello I just purchased a purple pincher crab can I just use sand or do I need to get the substrate too?

KrankyKrab

Help new crab!

Post by KrankyKrab » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:14 am

Lkrus08 wrote:Hello I just purchased a purple pincher crab can I just use sand or do I need to get the substrate too?
I’m pretty sure substrate is the name of anything you use: sand or sand with eco earth ect...

My substrate consists of sand with Ecoearth 5:1 ratio. (I also have a bit of moss, oyster shells and worm castings throughout)

I have my isolation tank with only sand and I feel they aren’t big on digging in there. Plus pumping your sand with some eco and other stuff (moss, worm castings) can help with molting so they have nutrients when they are under.

I notice that the eco helps with the smell as well as break down of organics where sand alone seems to smell dirtier in that iso tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Lkrus08

Re: Help new crab!

Post by Lkrus08 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:07 am

Oh ok! I wasn’t sure what the substrate was. Ok thank you for the advice!

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Here is the care sheet for substrate.

https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 26&t=92542
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Most of us use a mix of sand and EE (5 parts play sand to 1 part EE is the most common mix). Be sure it's play sand, not what is marketed as 'hermit crab sand', which is often Calcium sand.
The reason most of us use a mixture, is because it keeps the moisture, helps with humidity, and is the correct consistence for digging and holding shape. You can use dechlor fresh or salt water to mix it initially, but if adding water or misting, you should use dechlor fresh water. The care sheet that Moe posted has all the info you need.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:38 am

I agree with CurlySister. I like the mixture :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com