Underground Poof!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Shaddeh

Underground Poof!

Post by Shaddeh » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:52 am

Hey guys!

About a month ago I got another PP so my big boy could have a friend (he's my baby don't judge haha). A couple days after they both got settled into the tank with each other they've both gone underground.

I know that this usually means that they're molting but I'm a bit worried. Ever day I change their food and water and yet there's absolutely no sign of life. I'm beginning to get worried.

I know I can't go digging for them because it could kill them but I'm at a loss at what to do!!

Advice?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Underground Poof!

Post by curlysister » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:31 am

Be patient. A month is not long for a crab to be underground. It could be a few months before they re-surface. Just keep all tank conditions correct, and they will come back up when they are ready.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

DevilNDisguise

Re: Underground Poof!

Post by DevilNDisguise » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:47 am

Curly is right. They can be underground for months at a time. It's ok to worry- I think we all do about our crabbies!

I upgraded to a 75g a few months ago. Every single crab I have went underground, and this was back in November. Finally, most of them have started to resurface, but I still have a few who are under.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!