Review My Crabitat (Updated)

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
jhuntl24

Re: Review My Crabitat (Updated)

Post by jhuntl24 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:36 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:31 pm
You would be really sad if you found a drowned crab.

You can use craft mesh, and fish tank decor for them to get in and out of their pools with.
Yes, I would be sad if I found my crab drowned. Craft mesh, can you send a link?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:25 pm

I wasn't trying to be drastic, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Here is a link, so you know what it looks like. https://www.walmart.com/ip/7-Mesh-Count ... gL2gPD_BwE

The craft stores sell it in individual sheets for 70 cents a piece - in all sorts of colors, including clear.

I think this link shows you how to attach them to your pools: Double dish bubblers: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... r#p1030806
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
jhuntl24

Post by jhuntl24 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:37 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:25 pm
I wasn't trying to be drastic, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Here is a link, so you know what it looks like. https://www.walmart.com/ip/7-Mesh-Count ... gL2gPD_BwE

The craft stores sell it in individual sheets for 70 cents a piece - in all sorts of colors, including clear.

I think this link shows you how to attach them to your pools: Double dish bubblers: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... r#p1030806
Thank you! I'll get some mesh tomorrow!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:44 pm

Yw! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
jhuntl24

Post by jhuntl24 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:40 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:44 pm
Yw! :)
Heres the updated crabitat:
I added plastic mesh for the water pools and I also got some FMR hermit crab treat which my crab seems to love!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:36 am

Your pools look great! I would just recommend making your substrate deeper :)

Topic author
jhuntl24

Post by jhuntl24 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:42 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:36 am
Your pools look great! I would just recommend making your substrate deeper :)
The substrate is 6 inches but the picture makes it look less deep.

AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:55 pm

HermitofHermitCrabs wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 am
I had trouble affording organic and non-gmo goods until I stopped eating out.
I've had crabs for eight years and I don't buy organic food for them. I just can't afford it (and I don't eat out either so don't say that's why). I do feed them fresh produce from my garden in summer, but otherwise they get the same grocery store food I've gotten and they've been just fine.

Topic author
jhuntl24

Post by jhuntl24 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:51 pm

AutumnFalls wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:55 pm
I've had crabs for eight years and I don't buy organic food for them. I just can't afford it (and I don't eat out either so don't say that's why). I do feed them fresh produce from my garden in summer, but otherwise they get the same grocery store food I've gotten and they've been just fine.
I'm sure you're not the only one. :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:41 am

jhuntl24 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:42 pm
The substrate is 6 inches but the picture makes it look less deep.
I recommend 6 inches or three times the height of your crab. Whichever is deeper wins. I think your crab needs more than the 6 inches ;) Of course I'm just looking at a picture, so I could be wrong, but he looks like a large crab :)

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:23 pm

AutumnFalls wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:55 pm
If you see what herbicides and fungicides are used on conventional produce you'd find a way to afford it, trust me. There's also the problem that many of them cannot be washed off.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

CrabDad

Post by CrabDad » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:15 pm

I used the "egg crate" stuff from Amazon and then zip tied sheets of Coconut Fiber matting to it for a "back wall" and to support second level. that has turned out to be one of their favorite's for climbing! it's pretty cheap to use. As far as feeding - the crabs will be fine with strawberries that are non organic. You are doing great!

Topic author
jhuntl24

Post by jhuntl24 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:34 pm

CrabDad wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:15 pm
I used the "egg crate" stuff from Amazon and then zip tied sheets of Coconut Fiber matting to it for a "back wall" and to support second level. that has turned out to be one of their favorite's for climbing! it's pretty cheap to use. As far as feeding - the crabs will be fine with strawberries that are non organic. You are doing great!
Thank you!!!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:45 am

This tat is so cute! The only thing I would suggest is, on the right hand side where the cholla wood is you have a big section of empty glass. If you hung some netting from suction cups there, it would look cute and more importantly give your crabs even more space that they can climb on/use. Plus as a bonus it would hide the heat mat

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
jhuntl24

Post by jhuntl24 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:14 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:45 am
This tat is so cute! The only thing I would suggest is, on the right hand side where the cholla wood is you have a big section of empty glass. If you hung some netting from suction cups there, it would look cute and more importantly give your crabs even more space that they can climb on/use. Plus as a bonus it would hide the heat mat

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That sounds like a good idea! where could I get some?