Blueberry hermit crabs

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Sandybastion

Blueberry hermit crabs

Post by Sandybastion » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 am

:crabblush: I am looking for a blueberry or strawberry hermit crab . Very important that they be live an true to there species. I have been looking all over the internet but they cost $$25 , which u think is a lot to pay for one hermit crab. If anybody has a blueberry or strawberry hermit crab for sale or knows anyone please let me know I am willing to pay up to 15 dallors . Plz help!

FJrocks003

Re: Blueberry hermit crabs

Post by FJrocks003 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:51 am

Sandybastion wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 am
:crabblush: I am looking for a blueberry or strawberry hermit crab . Very important that they be live an true to there species. I have been looking all over the internet but they cost $$25 , which u think is a lot to pay for one hermit crab. If anybody has a blueberry or strawberry hermit crab for sale or knows anyone please let me know I am willing to pay up to 15 dallors . Plz help!
25$ is like a steal! Both blueberries and strawberries (espaly strawberries) are super rare and unique crabs. It's almost impossible to find them at all in most places, let along
for that cheap. If you aren't willing willing to pay that much then then maybe it's not a good idea to get these species, sense you will certainly pay hundreds in supplies for them. They are super active and need huge tanks with at least 10-12 inches of substrate and large salt water bowls (at least a couple of gallons) so they have enough room to swim. The humidity and heat requirements are also much more extreme than most species (80% humidity minimum, and 80 temperature minimum) These crabs are just super hard and very expansive and very few keeper have kept them successfully. If you aren't willing to do all that than this crabs might not be for you, but if you did find them for only 25$ than send a link, I've been trying to find some strawberries for a while and haven't found anything cheaper than 50$.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:32 pm

Blueberries have not been imported into the United States for about 10 years. If a place is selling "blueberries" chances are it's a Viola since they have a similar color.

Strawberries are out there, but difficult to find. They are also one of the more temperamental species when it comes to correct conditions. Even experienced crab keepers find it challenging keeping these guys!

Like FJ stated since these crabs are imported from the Indochina area, they require additional shipping, and fees compared to PP's and E's. Their pricing reflects that.

I consider buying hermit crabs online a real risk. There have been hundreds of horror stories of people never receiving their crabs, and fighting to get their money refunded. Shipping is also very risky for the crabs due to temperature changes and not to mention the additional fees of having to pay for overnight shipping!

I always suggest to scour the adoption pages. Exotics do pop up on occasion. I adopted a Strawberry on the forum two years ago about an hour away! Just yesterday we adopted a Ruggie on there too. That crab was 3.5 hours away. The adoption program is a great way to help crabs needing homes!

Edited for misspelling and other errors.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Sandybastion

Post by Sandybastion » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:29 pm

Well I am mostly looking for a blueberry but what is the substrate level for one. And will it get along with my other two pps

Topic author
Sandybastion

Post by Sandybastion » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:29 pm

Well I am mostly looking for a blueberry but what is the substrate level for one. And will it get along with my other two pps

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:45 pm

Blueberries are not imported. Violas and Lila's can be found occasionally on the adoption pages. There are many crabbies that need good homes on the adoption pages!
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:45 pm

Blueberries are not imported. Violas and Lila's can be found occasionally on the adoption pages. There are many crabbies that need good homes on the adoption pages! True blueberries live in Japan. Anybody who says they have a blueberry has likely mistake them as they are probably violas or Lila's.
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:13 pm

Sandybastion wrote:Well I am mostly looking for a blueberry but what is the substrate level for one. And will it get along with my other two pps
Substrate recommendations are triple the height of the crab, regardless of species. Interspecies setups are doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk