Safe to paint shells?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author

Safe to paint shells?

Post by Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 6:56 pm

Hi! Ummmm. . . I was wondering if it would be safe to paint a shell and give it to ther hermit crab. Woud the paint harm the crab in any way? I went to this site:
http://www.abc.net.au/creaturefeatures/make/hermit.htm
and I was wondering if it would be okay to do this, or if you have heard this.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 7:36 pm

I wouldn't try it because there might be something in the paint that could be poisionous to your hermmies. Just buy some if they must be painted. ok?

Topic author

Re: Question about shells. . .

Post by Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 9:08 pm

amandap wrote:Woud the paint harm the crab in any way? I went to this site:
http://www.abc.net.au/creaturefeatures/make/hermit.htm
and I was wondering if it would be okay to do this, or if you have heard this.
I would say no.... only because the paint could possibly be toxic to your hermie if he were to ingest any of it. And even though this site says that hermit crabs prefer painted shells.... I can tell you from experience that mine don't. Several of mine came in painted shells.... switched immediately ... and no ones ever moved back into them.

If you are dead set on them having painted shells... please buy the ones from FMR. You can get them from Pet Discounters here---->http://www.petdiscounters.com

Hope this was helpful...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 11:10 am

I have noticed that my crabs will not move into painted shells too. If you put your nose up to one of FMR's painted shells, even though they may be nontoxic, there is a decidely yucky paint fume smell. If I were a crab, I would not want to have to smell that in my home!

I would buy FMR's shells, though, if you decide you want to try some painted shells. :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu May 22, 2003 6:10 am

I won't paint the shells. It isn't worth the risk, and I think I will just by some. I have five crabs that came in painted shells, and they seem to be doing just fine. Just wondered if it was safe. Hey! Do you think I should email them?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 26, 2003 12:31 pm

I think that any acrylic-based paint if fine (they work best on shells). However the thing that makes it safe and non-toxic to the hermit crabs is actually glazing (which also water-proofs the paint). Glazing gives it the nice smooth, glossy finish and seals in the paint and prohibits the crabs from being exposed to any potentially harmful paint chipping.

Make sure the paint glaze is non-toxic though...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:06 am

Well...I did research on paint for crab shells & even called FMR ..............it has to be "Non-Toxic".
Finding it was hard but I ended up using Fabric paint. It works great & my crabs don't seem to mind it BUT....they WILL go to a non painted before a totally painted shell. So the shells they don't like are now plastic plant holders for their crabarium. I used a hot glue gun to set them.They look really cool & the crabs like to knock them over....ALOT.
Trust me....the painted shells are not all they're cracked up to be.
Good Luck

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:16 pm

Interesting Libby, can I ask you if you used anything else as a finisher after you painted your shells with the fabric paint?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:00 am

Yes Missy...you MAY ask :wink: , On the paint that I used with a matte or dull finish, I use Varnish...yes I know it sounds "horrid" but it's also "non-toxic" & is oderless when it's dry (doesn't have much of an oder wet either)It's water-based also..It's more of a polyurethane. Just shines it & seals it up. It's in a little bottle in the fabric / craft paints at Wal-mart(supercenter).
Now I just paint a small design or a decoration on an occasional shell.
But I go to all that trouble to find safe paint for the their shells & the little ingrates aren't as thrilled about them as I am. :roll: :roll: (tisk-tisk).
Spoiled...that's what they are. :?