I HAVE ZOEAE!!!!!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

mlakers

Re: I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by mlakers » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:47 pm

GotButterflies wrote:End of Day 6: This evening I combined the Cycle mason jar zoeae with the gallon fish tank zoeae. The cycle jar water was much clearer than the gallon fish tank. Could it be that I'm using Cycle or that it has less zoeae? I don't know! But, being that there hasn't been any life loss, I'm going to start using Cycle in the gallon jar. I with held feeding them tonight - still lots of brine shrimp eggs in there. Some brine shrimp too...

I did witness a zoea shed too. That was neat. I was looking through the magnifying glass looking for zoea that went with the water change and it was on the bottom of the mason jar. It was just laying there. I thought it was dead. All of a sudden it kind of shook, and then it had a piece of skin come off of it. That was neat.
So cool to see the shed, isn't it? It happens so fast. This whole experience feels like being part of a little miracle. Even if I ultimately get none to land, I'm going to focus on the fact that it has been an honor to participate in their attempts to become land-dwelling crabs and to facilitate that goal in the best way I knew how.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:22 am

Hermiearth wrote:SO exciting. And no casualties??? What would you do with so many crabsImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My apologies ~ I meant no losses in the Cycle jar Image I have had casualties. Image I do still have a lot~ but I'm expecting losses. I'm trying to be as realistic as possible, and trying to not set unrealistic goals for myself! This is my first attempt! Image

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:27 am

mlakers wrote:So cool to see the shed, isn't it? It happens so fast. This whole experience feels like being part of a little miracle. Even if I ultimately get none to land, I'm going to focus on the fact that it has been an honor to participate in their attempts to become land-dwelling crabs and to facilitate that goal in the best way I knew how.
It is very cool to see them shed! Stay positive Mlakers! Definitely focus on the good things! (And that doesn't just apply to this experience!)

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:55 pm

End of Day 7: Can't believe it's been a week now! Still only doing 2 water changes a day, and adding Cycle to the water. Fed a little brine shrimp this am, and spirulina this evening. Earlier this afternoon I put a second air stone in the one gallon near the top, thinking waves would be kind of bubbly near the top of the water.

I've now set up a sea monkey jar. Just what I need...another thing to take care of! I just don't have the heart to pour them down the drain! Some of them have gotten big! Good night! :cloud9:

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Oh, you are a softie! Those brine shrimp kind of creep me out when they get bigger. I feel like they could almost eat the babies. :P

Yay for waves! Yay for no losses! Yay for only two water changes!

annedow9

Post by annedow9 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 pm

So excited for your new babies!!

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:58 am

Beginning of day 9: Fed babies brine shrimp & first bites yesterday. Everyone is doing good. Not much new :) Same ole same ole :) :cloud9:

@mlakers...They are interesting to watch! I have a few the same size as the zoea! But they are in an old sea monkey jar I had from when the kids were younger...some of the things I keep! LOL!

TY @ annedow9 :)

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Perfect!!

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm so excited to see how this turns out! :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Day 12: Only 2 left now...
Sorry I haven't been good about keeping up...life has been crazy. Life in general. In a nutshell...I have a kitty that has to get fluid therapy twice a day, and for a week and a half I have been having to syringe feed her as well. (She has kidney issues - 15yo). Then between running my house, taking care of all of my animals, my etsy shop, son's baseball, and helping son with school..I had to make moderations....I just couldn't do it all. My fibro started flaring really bad. Didn't need a lupus flare too.

On Wednesday I took my 2.5g msw tank and converted it to a 10g msw tank. I put the one submersible filter inside of a breeder net and then put filter fiber all around it to slow the suction of it. Tank looks great...have my live rock in there also. Have two bubblers. A long one and a short one. The over the back filter I wrapped with mesh and filter fiber. (That ended up being to strong and I couldn't' use it.) I watched the brine shrimp in the tank, they were doing fine with the flow of the water, I was trying to mimic natural environment as much as possible, and when I saw brine shrimp were fine, I added the zoeae.

Thursday I noticed there weren't as many of the zoeae. I then realized they were probably hitting the heater, and maybe that was causing an issue. I unplugged it. The room I keep them in is relatively warm anyway - and even unplugging it the water was still staying at 78, so I didn't think that was an issue. Friday, even less of the zoeae. In this tank I was feeding twice a day - rotating between brine shrimp eggs, Hikari first bites, and spirulina. Perhaps this tank too big to feed them? IDK. :(

This morning only saw two before heading to the ball fields. Guess I need to look into how to make a kriseil tank for future zoeae...I am thankful for this experience. It's been very awesome, no matter what the outcome.

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Thanks for updating us. I'm sorry. It's so hard to lose them, but you gave them a shot and every attempt helps advance the cause and brings us closer. I do feel that if the duties that go with a breeding attempt can't coexist within our busy lives, it's just not going to work no matter how much we want it to. And I definitely think you are right to put your needs and your pets and loved ones needs first. It's so easy to make yourself sick attending too the needs of the zoeae. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Bummer. If anyone could give them a shot it was you. There will surely be more in the future. Feel better.

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:47 pm

Awww sorry about your kitty too :(
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks all. I have "crashed" too many times health wise - I knew I had to moderate. Unfortunately it's just what had to be done. Still see the two. Feeding brine shrimp eggs. I've considered moving them to the mason jars, but if I crash health wise - nobody will tend to them, so they are better in the tank.

Kitty has actually improved with the fluid therapy twice a day. It's kind of like her having dialysis - she is now eating on her own. Ty! :)

I will do my best to keep you updated. :)

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Sounds like you really got ur hands full! Sorry about the loss, but ya know what, seems like u really learned alot from this experience so next time, u will do even better!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!