Just doing some research

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

YYWW

Re: Just doing some research

Post by YYWW » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 am

Look into Ultratherm at ReptileBasics or Beanfarm.
I use a lot of needlepoint canvas too! The one thing, though, its not as easy for crabs to climb as i like. Consider siliconing stones on the surface or tying plastic thread to create a better surface for gripping claws.
Replacing dowels is a good idea. Someone else made a bridge out of imitation jenga blocks ️ it looked so cute!
Suction cups can be awesome, especially those power locking types. I only advise to use more to lighten the load of each hook, this making your structure more stable. I'd also clean the surface with a drop ov vinegar for a TIGHT initial stick

Crabbers unite!!!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:04 am

Topic author
Atticus

Post by Atticus » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:06 am

Oooh that looks perfect! Thank you so much.
I am food-slave to one female pit bull Huxley May and about twenty red cherry shrimp (all named Jaques), and approximately one hundred pond snails all called Snelly. 35 gallon PP habitat coming soon~~

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:05 am

I have used both, and Ultratherm is definitely best!

For second level, you can also get clear L-shaped strips from the home improvement store and silicone them directly onto the tank. I go all across the back and sides, both at the top to hang vines from, and a few inches down for moss pits and such. Drill holes every inch and cable tie to yours hearts content. A lot easier than suction cups.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:25 am

Hermieluv1, what section are those strips found in?

Crabbers unite!!!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:46 pm

YYWW wrote:Hermieluv1, what section are those strips found in?

Crabbers unite!!!
I just picked one up last week at Home Depot. They're in the Blinds section, usually in a tub on an end cap. They come in 4' and 8' lengths and 3/4" and 5/8" widths. Prices range from about $3 to about $5.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:58 pm

Crabinski wrote: I just picked one up last week at Home Depot. They're in the Blinds section, usually in a tub on an end cap. They come in 4' and 8' lengths and 3/4" and 5/8" widths. Prices range from about $3 to about $5.
Money! Thank you!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
Atticus

Post by Atticus » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:25 am

hermieluv1 wrote:I have used both, and Ultratherm is definitely best!

For second level, you can also get clear L-shaped strips from the home improvement store and silicone them directly onto the tank. I go all across the back and sides, both at the top to hang vines from, and a few inches down for moss pits and such. Drill holes every inch and cable tie to yours hearts content. A lot easier than suction cups.
Would there be a way to use these without the silicone? While silicone isn't very difficult to remove from glass, I do have a tendency to *ahem* find new (much bigger) tanks. I like upgrading. Part of the enjoyment of tank keeping is the set up. I even love the nitrogen cycle. :love:: Anyway, my point is that I may wish to use the 35 gallon for fish again when the hermies outgrow it. I'm planning a 100 gallon fish tank build (for angel fish) in the near future anyway and the 55-70 gallon I'll be buying after my move could turn into a hermit set up at some point.
I am food-slave to one female pit bull Huxley May and about twenty red cherry shrimp (all named Jaques), and approximately one hundred pond snails all called Snelly. 35 gallon PP habitat coming soon~~

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:57 am

I do not think these can be used without silicone, on a semi-permanent basis.
An alternative would be things like this: Grayline 40710, Jumbo Kitchen Helper Shelf, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNVXIY/re ... Qub0W59470
They make great temporary shelves. I zip tied plastic canvas onto the platforms so that crabs may scoot over them. Then i zip tie decorations to them that act as bridges and ladders, or put stuff on them, like additional shelves or bowls or pieces of wood. You can even silicone stones on the canvas or carpet with plants for a more natural look.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
Atticus

Post by Atticus » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:58 am

I think I will do something along the lines of those shelves. Should I worry about the material? I'm assuming if I get the kind specifically for sink use that rust would not be an issue, but if the paint were to chip, would I have problems there? I'll see if I can find plastic ones first. Aren't crabs sensitive to metals of most types?

aldebaron0626

Post by aldebaron0626 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 am

I think these are metal shelves covered with a plastic like something not paint. I have one in my 'tat and no issues so far. Also, and I have no idea how to link on my phone, but JediMasterThrash posted an article about metals not necessarily being as harmful as we first thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Yea my understanding is that rusted iron is not harmful, just ugly. I will use the shelf until it starts to rust, if it does, then remove it. Try to get a nice new one, where the paint is more like wrapped plastic. I think it will stay longer.
Definitely check out the dollar store or walmart for great plastic alternatives. Plastic woven baskets, shower caddies, plastsic shelves, etc

Crabbers unite!!!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Re those white shelves: you can also buy them at Walmart (Kitchen section) for $5 and up, depending on size. The ones at Walmart have folding legs that detach so you could use just the grating as a climber, for example.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster