Need help with telling what kind of hermits I have. With Pic

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
charbeenie

Need help with telling what kind of hermits I have. With Pic

Post by charbeenie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:53 pm

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Need help with telling what kind of hermits I have. With

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:03 pm

You have Es!! :hearts:
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:18 pm

Thank you very much!!! I have never had this type before! Now I can research what my new babies need. I have them in a 10 gallon now.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:45 pm

Some people have Es that are sweet, others have Es that end up aggressive and cannibalistic. Two things you can do to prevent issues before they ever start is to make sure they have a ton of substrate (at least half the tank filled), and to make sure they aren't crowded. If it's just the two, they will probably be okay in a 10 gallon. More crabs than that, or if they're bigger hermits, then the biggest tank you can get them will go a long way to keep them safe from each other. I'd also very much recommend using a cocofiber and playsand mixture for substrate, as it's less permeable to smells than straight cocofiber and they won't be able to find each other when molting as easily. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:19 pm

Thank you! I will be adding more substrate tomorrow! I dont have that much in there, I think I only have 3 inches. I will get play sand tomorrow also, I have calci sand in there with them with the eco fiber. My bigger of the 2 is more aggressive than the little one. They are both friendly to me, but he picks in the smaller one. I am going to get them a bigger tank this weekend. I dont want any trouble with them! I am all about spoiling my animals so I would rather them have a bigger tank and be happier! Thank you so much for the tips!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:23 pm

No calcium sand. It clumps and can trap them. Dangerous stuff. Just plain play sand or play sand with cocofiber is most common. A few people have success with just EE but for me it is too much work as I have a 125.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:47 pm

Ok I will get play sand instead. Thank you! I going to move them into a 75 gallon this weekend. I want to do what is best for them! My brother in law is going to make them a small pond with a water fall. What is the best way to clean the sand before I put it in the tank?

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 pm

You don't need to clean it. :) A lot of us use the quikrere brand and it is great. A bit of advice, before you put them in be sure to get your conditions right. It will be far less stressful for them that way and they are so sensitive to stress. I love the idea of a waterfall but beware they tend to leak no matter what and the crabs drag so much crap into the water they do not last long. Trust me when I say it sucks lol because I wanted one too and decided to do filtered pools for the moving water. They are a pain but far less likely to leak and flood.

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:53 am

I will get the new tank going and temp right before I move them :) oh no, guess I will get a filter instead. I dont want leaks!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:15 am

I have learned a lot of lessons the hard way because I am stubborn. Lol

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:24 am

Since you have Es I would say a large saltwater pool with a filter and one normal one for fresh water because the size it takes to filter (2.5 gal in my case.) Will take up a lot of room in your tank. If you would stay at 4 crabs and under it wouldn't be a problem but it is hard to resist more crabs with tank upgrades so one large pool will take up plenty space on the surface of the sand so fewer crabs would be ecessary when having 2 pools that size. I have only found one kind of filter that could withstand the stuff the crabs drag in and they love to climb the tube that goes into it and jiggle it out of place stopping the water. Then I have to go in and wiggle it back into place. Crabs really are a pain sometimes. Lol I have several that love to swim. My most recent adoptees lived in great conditions but when one got in the pool (I put them in as a bath and them them crawl out on their own) she would not come out from under when the water came down out of the filter into the pool. It was a crabby waterfall as far as she was concerned and she loved it. 20 minutes later I got her out and told her to go socialize. Lol she looked at me as defiantly as I think a crab can and made a mad dash back to the water. It was so funny.

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:12 pm

Aww how cute!!!! I think I am going to try and stay at 2 since my bigger one is a bully! I am afraid if I add more to the bigger tank he will pick on them too