Saltwater smelling like eggs

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Kestrel

Saltwater smelling like eggs

Post by Kestrel » Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 pm

I dont mean rotten eggs. Just eggs. It's not very strong, more like how it smells while eggs are being boiled. The crabs don't seem bothered by it and they go into the saltwater and act normal. I just want to know why it smells like eggs.

Cococrabgirl!

Re: Saltwater smelling like eggs

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Wed May 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Could they have drag any part of egg into their salt water bowl?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Topic author
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel » Wed May 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Cococrabgirl! wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:06 pm
Could they have drag any part of egg into their salt water bowl?

No, there isn't any egg in there. It also just always smells that way. The saltwater conditioner I have does contain calcium though, I just remembered. Could that cause the egg smell?

Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Wed May 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Kestrel wrote: No, there isn't any egg in there. It also just always smells that way. The saltwater conditioner I have does contain calcium though, I just remembered. Could that cause the egg smell?
I don't know. It sounds like that might be it?

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Topic author
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel » Wed May 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Cococrabgirl! wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:22 pm
I don't know. It sounds like that might be it?

It's been smelling like that since I started using it, previously I had no saltwater dish. Hopefully that's all it is. Seeing as my crabs are acting healthy, and it's been months since I started using it, I dont see much reason to worry.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed May 22, 2019 4:07 pm

What brand of dechlorinator do you use? What brand of salt?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

RawrSean

Post by RawrSean » Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Kestrel wrote: No, there isn't any egg in there. It also just always smells that way. The saltwater conditioner I have does contain calcium though, I just remembered. Could that cause the egg smell?
We are concerned by the term “saltwater conditioner.” Can you tell us which product specifically? We’d like to make sure it isn’t one of those many scam products that do not actually contain what they need within.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCrabulousRose

Post by TheCrabulousRose » Tue May 28, 2019 7:19 am

Are you using Prime water conditioner? Prime tends to have a sulfuric smell which basically translates to it smelling like eggs, not pleasant. Check the back label of whatever you're using or even reviews of it on other sites to see if other people have complained of the same issue. The product/brand name would be helpful here. :)