Tank cover and humidity

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Tank cover and humidity

Post by IsolatedShadow » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Hello. I'm a bit new to hermit crab care (specifically, PP's. 5) and i seem to be having slight trouble keeping my humidity up. Right at the moment it is slightly below 70. I have an old aquarium tank and the top has an open back for air filters. I currently have the top taped over on the back, but I was wondering if there is possibly a different way I should deal with this? I am unable to get a new top because they're out of my price range, so that's out of the question. I have moss, sponges, and about 3 inches of eco earth (going to add more once dwebble resurfaces. I think its molting).

Thanks in advance!
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

Xenocrab

Re: Tank cover and humidity

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:12 pm

How big is your tank? Where do you have the UTH placed? Need more info. Do you have dechlorinated fresh water and dechlorinated salt water (instant ocean, for example)?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:22 pm

The tank is my grandmother's old tank, and she said it is 30 gal. The UTH is fairly small, about 4 inches length and 3 inches wide, and placed on the side of the tank, towards the top. The freshwater is from waterbottles, and the salt water is from a gallon of spring water + aquarium salt. Is there any more information you need?
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Please check out the care sheets and links. They are filled with all the information you need.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:36 pm

You can safely add an inch of substrate, playsand, which will eventually mix with the eco earth you have, every 24hrs, just don't pat ot down. Make sure it's mixed with dechlorinated fresh or saltwater to sandcastle consistancy. It needs to eventually be a minimum of 6inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper. It also will help with the humidity.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:42 pm

right. I don't have playsand, but I do have more eco earth bricks. Just bought some today, actually. Will the eco earth substrate be just fine to add?

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:09 pm

It's recmonneded to have 5:1 ratio of sand to ee. Ee retains moisture very well, but if you have too much, theres. Risk for a flood and/or oversaturation. The sand helps to prevent tunnels from collapsing and thus suffocating your hermes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:15 pm

I would take the aquarium lid off of the tank and just cover the top with Saran wrap. I didn't have any kind of lid on my first two tank, I just used Saran wrap.

You will need to treat even bottled spring water with a dechlorinator such as Prime - it's cheaper to use tap water and treat that, though. Is your salt a marine salt, like Instant Ocean?

What's the temp in your tank?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 pm

The temperature is about 75-85, depending how hot it becomes. And I use aquarium salt.

I'll dechlorinate my spring water in the morning, and see if I'll be able to use saran wrap instead later on. Though, I'm unsure if I'll be able to do so. I'm living with my grandmother as she is my guardian, and I don't know if she'll allow me to do this. Though, it is worth a shot. Thanks for the help!

Eggster

Post by Eggster » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:59 pm

I would say get a bigger UTH but your temp is good. Using straight eco earth is fine and I personally use just it as my substrate since it holds moisture easier.

I had the same problem with a tank lid that isn't solid either. Laying an old bath towel over the lid is easy and works great for keeping humidity in, plus your crabs are more comfortable under a closed sky. Also upgrading the size of my water bowls and placing them close to the UTH helped immensely with maintaining humidity. Deep bowls take a long time to evaporate too so you don't have to worry about then running dry.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Saran wrap works better than a towel for keeping humidity in.
Some people have had issues with all EE, flooding seems to be more of a problem than with the play sand EE mix.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Make sure you put something on to of saran wrap because the crab can get under the wrap. Put moss pits around. They hold a lot of water, and can slowly release moisture to air.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:50 pm

You can buy plexiglass for really cheap for a more permanent fix over saranwrap. But saranwrap works really well though if a crab can reach it they may tear it up.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Thanks for all the tips! I think I'll see if I can use Saran wrap on the top of my tank for now, i'll need to discuss it with my aunt and grandma, but Thank you all!