Moving crabs into a new tank

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
erinnicole126

Moving crabs into a new tank

Post by erinnicole126 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Hello all,

I've been preparing a new, much larger tank for my hermies and was wondering how to actually go about moving them from one tank to the other. I have one crab that is much more active than my other two, so I don't think it would be difficult moving him. Buuuut, I never seem to catch my other two crabs- or at least haven't in a while. I'm wondering what the best technique would be for transferring them into the new tank without disturbing them.

Thanks in advance!
Erin.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Moving crabs into a new tank

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:04 pm

I have learned that if a crab is holding onto something, like the hamster wheel or the mesh lid, it's virtually impossible to get them off. But if they are on the ground or anything that they can't hold onto, just pick them up and put them in the new tank. Personally, I get freaked out holding them especially if they spread their legs out, so I put them in a small tupperware dish just to carry him to the other tank.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:47 am

If it's a matter of when theyre up,try putting out honey. That's usually a huge hitto attract them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:00 pm

When you say "you never seem to catch" the other two crabs--do you mean you haven't seen them up and moving around in a while? If so, they may be molting, and it is really not recommended to disturb a molter if you can possibly help it--disturbing a crab mid-molt can be very dangerous for the crab. If this is what you mean, I would just wait until they resurface on their own, and move them then. I know it might be inconvenient to wait, but it is much, much safer for the crabs.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton