Hermit crab aggression?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Hobo

Hermit crab aggression?

Post by Hobo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:12 pm

Hello, I recently today setup a 40 gallon tank and put my two new crabs in it. One is jumbo the other is a little smaller shell size and definitely smaller body size. I couldn't find any shells their size expect two that are a size too big. So I have some coming in the mail now. Anyways ever since the big guy found the other one he's been trying to flip and stand on top of the smaller one. I haven't owned hermits for a good 8 years and even then they were much smaller. Im pretty worried about them harming each other. I can definitely add a picture if needed.

VickieG

Re: Hermit crab aggression?

Post by VickieG » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:15 pm

I would have thought it was flat out aggression if I hadn't just seen the threads on hermit crabs breeding. Is it possible you have a big male and the smaller one is female??

And then the other questions, size of habitat, substrate depth, etc....

Mine are also in a new tank and there have been a few discussions over who gets the coconut on the ledge.

When mine don't get along, it looks like classic animal intimidation where they puff themselves up, so to speak, and flail their legs at each other. There isn't any flipping and sitting on top of anyone.

Harriet is my oldest and largest crab. She was so unhappy about getting new tank mates for a while that she tried to escape for literally hours on end using the same route each time... straight through and UNDER the fresh water. She'd walk into the water to try to climb up the one wall until she'd run out of air and then climb out and try again. I was so worried she'd get sick from so much stress, or accidentally drown, that I isolated her for a few days to let her calm down before trying the introductions over. Everyone gets along now except for the occasional prime real estate spats.

Maybe re-rinse them in salt water and reintroduce if it doesn't look like mating behavior. And make sure they have at multiple enclosed hiding spots.

Have things been any better since the shells arrived?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Since they just got moved I'd be thinking territorial issues. I'd give them a freshwater dunk and see if that cools them off and puts them on like footing again.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:22 pm

Yeah, I had to rinse mine twice...a salt water rinse after the fresh water rinse... to stop Harriet from freaking out! I guess their reactions and territorial displays are as varied as the shells they wear..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk