What to do about lonely crab?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
SlackJacket

What to do about lonely crab?

Post by SlackJacket » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 am

I have about 5 crabs right now, about a month or two ago one of them went underground and just recently came back. Problem is EVERY OTHER CRAB WENT UNDER THE NEXT DAY, so hes by himself.

Will he be okay being alone for a while? I cant really get another crab because I feel like that would be pushing the limits on what space I have in my ‘tat. Im really worried aha

gunstreet.girl

Re: What to do about lonely crab?

Post by gunstreet.girl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:19 am

Your crab will be fine.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:33 am

SlackJacket wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 am
I have about 5 crabs right now, about a month or two ago one of them went underground and just recently came back. Problem is EVERY OTHER CRAB WENT UNDER THE NEXT DAY, so hes by himself.

Will he be okay being alone for a while? I cant really get another crab because I feel like that would be pushing the limits on what space I have in my ‘tat. Im really worried aha
I think he'll be okay. My crabbie has three other friends and he doesn't usually hang out with others, unless the tiny boys follow him around like puppy dogs. He's happy; sometimes I take him out and he waves his feelers at me and runs around happily. Plus, I think two are molting, and only one is left up apart from him. He's okay though; he doesn't really have friends. But he's my weird little loner :hearts:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:26 pm

I only have one out of seven up in the one tank. She has been up almost two weeks by herself. She has been a bit more skittish after molting than usual. I think they feel safer in groups since the chance of them being prey is decreased.

I basically look at it as she gets a feast of her own and all the time she wants on the wheel uninterrupted!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:10 pm

He is fine. We've had some HCA members in the past report their crabs communicating with eachother, even when all were underground and moulting, they were hearing them chirp and squeak away!

Even then, the crabs really dont seem to mind. For me, my craba act the same when 'solo' compared to when they do when they are in a group. Just in a group, they are extremely active and not well behaved.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 am

aussieJJDude wrote:

Even then, the crabs really dont seem to mind. For me, my craba act the same when 'solo' compared to when they do when they are in a group. Just in a group, they are extremely active and not well behaved.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This made me LOL! Too true. Tank thrashers I say! Image

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!