First molt question :)

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
TurtleandJaws

First molt question :)

Post by TurtleandJaws » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:52 pm

So just had my first molt ever( I think!) Robocop, the smallest, disappeared for almost 3 weeks and then one morning was back! I wrongly assumed that he would be bigger and need a different shell?! Is it normal that he would stay in the same shell after molting? It is a bit big for him, so maybe it’s just right now. My favorite crab went down a week later so I’m still waiting for her to emerge!! Thanks!!
New crab owner, but I’ve become a little hermie obsessed 🙈🤗!! 4 PP’s in a 20 gallon tank: Turtle 🐢 , Jaws 🦈 , Ursula 🐙 & Robocop* 🚓

*named by my husband 🙄 😂

crabs_lex

Re: First molt question :)

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:17 pm

i would not worry about it
that happens to them and after a while you might notice a difference in growth
you won’t always see it right away

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:40 pm

In the ten years I have had my crabs, I would say that they stay in the same shell after a molt more often than they immediately change after a molt.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
TurtleandJaws

Post by TurtleandJaws » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:44 pm

Ok great, thank you!!
New crab owner, but I’ve become a little hermie obsessed 🙈🤗!! 4 PP’s in a 20 gallon tank: Turtle 🐢 , Jaws 🦈 , Ursula 🐙 & Robocop* 🚓

*named by my husband 🙄 😂