Leg Deformation Pictures

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Leg Deformation Pictures

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:07 am

This red ruggie had previously lost the second shild leg ( between BP & mot outer left leg ). After it is regrown, this rug practices an unusual manner to "fold" the shield legs:

Another deformation caused by a piece of exoskeleton that had been clinging on the new leg and "amalgamated".
Hermit crab lover since 1981
Founder of "Blueberry land hermit crab" - common name for Coenobita purpureus, and "Zebra Sunset land hermit crab" for a new subspecies of Coenobita violascens

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Interesting! Thanks for posting the pics

Zealous Euphemism
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zealous Euphemism » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Wow, that's really cool! You know, unfortunate if it hampers him in any way...but still, I'm always fascinated by crab regeneration. :)
~*~I should have been a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floors of silent seas~*~

annopia

Post by annopia » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:46 pm

that straw is particularly intriguing, i wonder if he will drop the limb completely.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie