I can't believe this, crab down for over a year!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Cydonia1

I can't believe this, crab down for over a year!

Post by Cydonia1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:29 pm

So I got a jumbo at a pet store in July of 2014. In January of 2015 he came up, and I posted a thread on it. Well in June, he went down. Haven't see him since I assumed he died. I got home this morning from pt and he's UP! I'm honestly so confused, he's been down for 8 months. And He couldn't have EVER come up, I've had to go through the entire tat twice and remove everything, he makes a big crater where he emerges.

He's smaller, which is understandable, but I just can't believe he's spent the majority of two years underground. Maybe he has real estate down there that he's holding on to? :hlol:
Tonight they'll get a feast, to celebrate him gracing us with his presence! Half a Coconut, Head on shrimp, starfruit, chicken and blueberries, plus I'll throw some more sycamoor leaves in there from our yard.

Anyone got name ideas for mister groundhog?

landlubber

Re: I can't believe this, crab down for over a year!

Post by landlubber » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:20 pm

He just came up to see if he could see his shadow. :hlol:

Well, did he? I want to know how much more winter I'm in for. :D
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:27 pm

No winter down here in North Carolina :cry: There's a high of 75 Wednesday :confused2:
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:14 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punxsutawney_Phil

You could name him Phil after the official groundhog. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:22 pm

Oh my goodness! I thought my guys 2 month molt was a long time! 4 of my 8 straws are down molting and they are pretty large. I hope it doesn't take them 8 months though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

LucasBinx

Post by LucasBinx » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:23 pm

Wow, my jumbo is usually down for 3 months. I couldn't imagine a year!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:39 am

I'm confused - was he down for a year, or was he down for 8 months? Someone else had a crab down for 8 months straight. I want to say it was meldamiriel?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:47 am

If he shrunk, I'd say chances are he sat under there and did back to back molts for whatever reason. That can take a lot out of any crab, especially the big guys.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:33 am

Did you get him as a jumbo or did he grow to that size since you have had him? I read on here somewhere that sometimes they can shrink from molts instead of grow for some reason if purchased at that size.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:24 pm

I missed that he was jumbo. If he came up from a molt in Jan then dug under again to molt in June - that right there can explain the shrinkage. Jumbos don't usually molt that often and like I said, it takes a toll on them. Hopefully he's fixed whatever was causing the need for back to back molts and does well from here on out. Poor crabbies go through so much before they come home with us and it's especially harder for larger crabs to recover.

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:57 pm

wodesorel wrote:I'm confused - was he down for a year, or was he down for 8 months? Someone else had a crab down for 8 months straight. I want to say it was meldamiriel?
I thought he buried down immediately, and came up briefly after a few months, and then buried down again for 8 months straight. That is how I interpreted what the op said.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:05 am

Kraken my jumbo is usually down between 4-6 months for a molt, but never so close together in timing. He is usually closer to about 4 months but has taken longer on rare occasion.

Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:30 am

Cydonia1 wrote:So I got a jumbo at a pet store in July of 2014. In January of 2015 he came up, and I posted a thread on it. Well in June, he went down. Haven't see him since I assumed he died. I got home this morning from pt and he's UP! I'm honestly so confused, he's been down for 8 months. And He couldn't have EVER come up, I've had to go through the entire tat twice and remove everything, he makes a big crater where he emerges.

He's smaller, which is understandable, but I just can't believe he's spent the majority of two years underground. Maybe he has real estate down there that he's holding on to? :hlol:
Tonight they'll get a feast, to celebrate him gracing us with his presence! Half a Coconut, Head on shrimp, starfruit, chicken and blueberries, plus I'll throw some more sycamoor leaves in there from our yard.

Anyone got name ideas for mister groundhog?
Wow! You got me beat! Half my crabs were down for 6 months! Small and medium and 1 large and i thought I had lost them but they slowly came up one by one and i signed them off as i saw them. Some went down again but reappeared so its a yo-yo effect. All of them are thick, hairy and healthy and it reassured me because I was ready to dig up the tank several times.

Hats off to you! Enjoy them while they are up.

mool

Post by mool » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:30 pm

My two XL's must be quick molters then! For the last 2-3 years they both go down and come back up in the month of December. This year one took 3 weeks and the other took about 4-4.5.

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:36 am

wodesorel wrote:I'm confused - was he down for a year, or was he down for 8 months? Someone else had a crab down for 8 months straight. I want to say it was meldamiriel?
He was down since she purchased him in July 2014 and then he came up in Jan 2015. Then he went back down again for 8 months since June 2015 till now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk