Successful Molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
hermiwormi

Successful Molt

Post by hermiwormi » Mon May 14, 2018 3:00 am

One of two crabs has completed a molt successfully. No deformities, no physical issues of any sort! He has new toenails and cute, hairy legs and is so much stronger than before! I was so worried about them not molting successfully, haha. He is still in this horrible, painted shell unfortunately, but I'm hoping He changes soon. I want to thank all of you who helped me and reassured me that the molts would be successful, you all really helped.

I am wondering if it will be okay to move him into the new 40 gallon now, or should I leave him in the 10 gallon?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Angel_crab

Re: Successful Molt

Post by Angel_crab » Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 am

That’s great news!! I always feel so happy inside when I read that someones crab has had a successful molt :)
I suggest leaving him in the 10 gallon tank for maybe another day or two, just to make sure he is ready to be back with the rest of the crab gang. You probably already know this, but just make sure to dip him into some fresh water or salt water before adding him into the new 40 gallon tank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Successful Molt

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon May 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Generally fresh water is recommended over salt water, just cause he doesn't really need a salt coating & fresh may be better for making him smell like his buds - but otherwise, yup, pretty much what Angel_crab said.

Congrats on a good moult! :D
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(