How long?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

How long?

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:49 am

Both of my crabs have been under for about a month now, my crab Crusty has been down since the 23rd of February and he stopped moving since the 25th.(I didn't hear anything anymore). Scuttle had only been down since the 4th of March. They are both small/medium crabs (still sadly wearing painted shells from the store). Neither of them are surface molting though (thank goodness).

I feel like a crazy person still feeding and watering them and spraying their tank😂. So how much longer should it be before they come up?
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How long?

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:16 am

Hard to say. Cher, my smaller crab, has always stayed under longer than Sonny, my larger crab. 3 months isn't unusual for mine.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:24 am

Ok thank you!!!🤣I'm fairly new at this and my crabs are molting for the first time with me😂
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Boley7

Post by Boley7 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Just out of curiosity what do they look like when they are molting?? One of our has been in the same spot for 2 weeks. We've never had hermit crabs that molted before

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:01 pm

They should be underneath the substrate to molt, you should not see them. If they are molting on the surface where you can see them, there is probably something wrong in their environment or diet.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:56 pm

Yeah, the way I look at this is that keeping these guys is WAY different than keeping tarantulas. New world tarantulas can molt on the surface and you can watch the process. But hermit crabs will burrow underground to molt and you aren’t supposed to see the process unless the crab molts up next to the glass and leaves a window, like one of mine did in January. If they do molt on the surface, it is seen as an emergency and that you need to change something in their tank or diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boley7

Post by Boley7 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:25 am

Thank you. I'd like to show a pic of what we are seeing