Crab molting and another crab next to him.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
SylysJ

Crab molting and another crab next to him.

Post by SylysJ » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 am

So I have an E that's been down for a couple of weeks. He appeared in the front of my tank out of his shell. Hes under the water dishes. Also there is another crab right next to him trying to get closer. Should I just leave them alone and hope he gets back in his shell and takes off. Also where he is at I can see a pool of water which means I guess I have a flood. Over the past month alot of black and green mold has shown up around the water dishes. So I dont know what to do. There is one more crab that is down somewhere and it's been about a month. I know I need to add more substrate but should I take out the moldy stuff? Here's a pic of the two in frontImage

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The Crab Maid

Re: Crab molting and another crab next to him.

Post by The Crab Maid » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:57 am

You can get rid of the mold and add more substrate. Gray sand is also an indicator of mold lower down, caused by floods. You'll want to add more and mix to absorb the water in the bottom.

However, unless the pool is huge I'd let the crabs alone. But keep an eye on them if the one is burrowing towards the other, they can get cannibalistic towards molters. When all crabs are up work on the substrate. If the pool gets worse, you may have to dig up the crabs as a last resort to fix the issue.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Topic author
SylysJ

Re: Crab molting and another crab next to him.

Post by SylysJ » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:54 pm

So the one that was molting covered up his spot so I cant see him anymore and the other one has just continued on above him and is almost to the top. So with the mold and extra water I just add more substrate? There is still another one down somewhere so I've been afraid to mess it. But I may just deal with it over by the water dishes and leave the rest alone

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk